Space Fighter

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

67726e

Space Fighter

Post by 67726e »

I guess I'll announce my game that I'm working on. It is a ship to ship combat game. There is no official title but I've just been using 'Fighter' (As in fighter jet/plane) as the name right about now.

I've gotten the core engine written about now minus collision but that is to come. The premise is pretty simple, you just fight another space ship which. You get 3 different types of missiles to use:

1) Standard Missile which comes in infinite supply, moves in a straight path and does 1 damage.
2) EMP will randomly detonate on the map and destroy anything in the blast radius including ships or other missiles. It *could* destroy you as soon as you fire it so or it could destroy the enemy entirely. You get 1 per match.
3) Tracker missile which will move around based on the enemy ships location but it will not always hit. Does one damage and you only get 2 per match.

Basically you just will play the game and score a point each time you kill the enemy ship. You get 3 lives and your ship can take 1 hit. The enemy ship can take 3 hits (That is subject to change)

The controls are as follows:

Left/Right -- Moves you left/right
Up/Down -- Moves you up/down (I haven't done this yet. I may not do it at all)
A -- Fires a missile
B -- Nothing planned as of yet
Start -- Pauses the game (doesn't pause until you release Start)
Select -- Toggles the missile selected (Not coded yet)

If you have any questions, ideas, or suggestions I would like to hear them.

You can see what I have so far: http://hexcoder.us/fighter.nes

I guess I will update this thread whenever I make significant progress on some aspect of the game.
67726e

Post by 67726e »

I had quite a bit of free time today so I got some good work in:

1) The missile sprite will disappear when it is out of range (or 'detonates' in the case of the EMP).
2) You may now toggle through the 3 missiles by pressing the select button. As with start, it will not actually change until you release the button.
3) Whenever you select a missile, it will be 'underlined' so you know what missile you have.
4) The 'Track Missile' (3rd missile) will home in on the enemy ship. Try moving to the sides and firing at it.
5) The EMP will randomly detonate. Sometimes it will go off as soon as it is launched in which case you will not see it. Other times it may make it to the end of the map before detonating. I need to make the randomization a little more lopsided so it does not detonate near the player as often.

http://hexcoder.us/fighter.nes
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Looks like a good start. I'm afraid I can't think of anything helpful to say yet, just that it looks like you've got something to build upon and good luck, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Seeming like a good start, I'd add going up/down. It adds a whole 'nother to the game and can lead to some situations where you need to play certain levels alot to know what NOT to do and lead to some aggravating, but rewarding, gameplay. :D

Hope to see this on my NES one day....And I mean the full game. :P
cartlemmy

Post by cartlemmy »

Looks cool so far, can't wait to see this progress.
67726e

Post by 67726e »

I'd add going up/down
I was indeed planning on it, but for some reason I didn't add the code in for up/down. I suppose that will be the next thing I add. I also think a two player option is well within sight after I get the core game in place. Also, I'm not all that great with names. If anyone has a good idea for a name, I'm all ears.
67726e

Post by 67726e »

I've been doing a bit of work over the past few days. I still have a ways to go but the game is coming along well. Here is whats new:

1) I've added the text in the 'sidebar' of the game so you can get an idea of what things will look like.
2) I've added in collision with the ship against the 'walls'. Missiles will now also disappear when they strike the enemy ship.
3) The enemy ship will try to evade incoming missiles by moving to the right or left depending on where the missile is. I've made it a little too good right now so I will make it less sensitive/fast in the future.
4) You can now move the ship vertically
5) When you press start or select, the actions occur immediately instead of waiting until you release the button. Also, when you pause the word 'PAUSED' is displayed.
6) You can no longer toggle through the missiles while a missile is firing or while you are paused.

That is pretty much the gist of whats new. If you do decide to test what is in there so far, please tell me if you spot a bug or even ways I can improve what I have so far.

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

It's getting there! I'd only suggest making the hit box for the ship the whole ship. One the left side, bullets go through the white part.

And also, maybe make it evade from the middle pixels. :P ^_^

I'm liking it so far. Keep it going.
67726e

Post by 67726e »

More Updates:

1) Missile collisions with the enemy ship should now be pixel perfect
2) Lives display added
3) Added missile limits (Infinite regular missiles, 1 EMP per round, 2 Trackers per round)
4) Updated threat assessment. The ship now takes longer to detect the missile making standard missile attacks fairer
5) Added title screen. Does not have a graphic yet but it is to come.
6) Added enemy health. Enemy ship can now take 5 hits before dieing.
7) Amended pause so the missile will stop moving when paused.
8 ) Added game rounds. Now when you or the enemy die, the round ends and a new round starts.
9) Added scoring. Each time you strike the enemy ship with a missile you get 1 point. More scoring opportunities to come. Current score limit is 999.