Some image conversions I made

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Post by tepples »

As far as I can tell, hui-ntsc works on my NTSC frontloader + PowerPak + CRT SDTV, although I still notice flicker. One thing you could try is making sure that the total luma of all pixels in each 8x8 pixel tile of the image is the same in both frames. To calculate the luma of a gray pixel, take the "normalized" values from the brightness table. Colors $x1-$xC have luma values halfway between the corresponding grays $x0 and $xD; for example, $01-$0C is (0.397 +(-0.117))/2 = 0.140.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

thefox wrote:I updated the code to be both PAL/NTSC compatible with automatic detection ...
Awesome! Thumbs up. :D
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

NTSC versions, great! Can't wait to try them on hardware! =)
thefox

Post by thefox »

PAL/NTSC compatible versions of all images: http://kkfos.aspekt.fi/downloads/bunch- ... l-1-v2.zip
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Why is that? I don't think it should look too bad on a CRT. It does look like shit on my HDTV but that is to be expected when it treats the signal as 480i. Need to get me that upscaler...
It looks like shit indeed, interlacing lines instead of blending them doesn't look good.

I have no CRT hooked up right now so I can't confirm that, but I'm pretty sure every-frame-flickering was actually looking like flickering on my old CRT. SMB1 flickers mario every frame when he goes fire or super mario -> tiny mario, and he looks flickering, not trasnparent.
Also the batman intro looked horrible, that's what I meant in my first post.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

For the record, I'm using an NTSC NES and LCD TV, I don't have any stutter or flicker at all. I don't even see a single tear in the image like emulators show during redrawing.

thefox: Looks perfect!

Now, for NTSC "High Hopes", right? ;P Or maybe you should just focus on that game you're making. :D
thefox

Post by thefox »

B00daW wrote:Now, for NTSC "High Hopes", right? ;P Or maybe you should just focus on that game you're making. :D
NTSC High Hopes is probably not going to happen. Not that it wouldn't be possible, but it's just not worth the trouble. I'm planning to make a new demo though. :)

The game has many unknowns and a realistic estimate for completion is probably 5+ years. ;)
UncleSporky

Post by UncleSporky »

This is amazing! I've seen testi before too. :)

I wonder if you could somehow synchronize the flickering with a pair of shutter glasses for 3D effects! Not that I am super excited about 3D or anything, but it would be awesome if the NES could do that.

It'd be also interesting to see images like these converted for "cross eyed" 3D, just to see how much of the effect is retained:

Forest
Meal
Hallway
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

UncleSporky wrote: I wonder if you could somehow synchronize the flickering with a pair of shutter glasses for 3D effects! Not that I am super excited about 3D or anything, but it would be awesome if the NES could do that.
Check this out:
http://famicomworld.com/system/other/3d-system/

There are glasses like that for the Vectrex, SMS, I don't know what else. I've been curious about it too, but it sounds like it's not much use for games.

Years ago I had wondered if it would be any better if you could synchronize 2 systems and somehow view each video (and sound) output separately. Probably not of any use, but at least it wouldn't flicker.
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

It was actually pretty fun, but the game library was a bit limited and it's not a huge success (possibly why it's not released for the NES overseas and games like Highway Star had to be changed to support Red/Blue glasses). As far as I remember the glasses were interchangeable with the SMS ones and the Laseractive and possibly other systems like the X68K (I actually bought a Laseractive one so that I could have two people seeing the effect at the same time), but the adapters were different. When Sega released the Japanese version of the SMS (i.e. not the original Mark III) it had the 3-D interface built-in and so one could just plug in the Nintendo glasses directly(and as far as I remember this was actually one of its selling points).
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

The Lost World one rocked! :D
devmas

Post by devmas »

I tested this in Nestopia and also FCEU GX for the Wii on a CRT (yay 240p!).

I am also very impressed. My favorite is kameli (the NES's blues and purples make that one look very natural, like the mountains in the background). testi (Jurassic Park) is also nice, and each frame is very detailed.

The flickering was bothersome in some pictures, but not others (like the one with the topless lady).

I'm interested in this, though... Assuming the NES had unlimited storage space, could you theoretically run many images in sequence at a good frame rate, for, say, videos?
UncleSporky

Post by UncleSporky »

devmas wrote:I'm interested in this, though... Assuming the NES had unlimited storage space, could you theoretically run many images in sequence at a good frame rate, for, say, videos?
Check out the ROM by Dwedit in this thread. :)
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Yes, and AFAIK the NES is the only console that uses the cartridge for VRAM. With bankswitching, there is no CPU cost to 'copy' all that data into memory instantly.

Don't forget these demos. It would be easy to speed it up by a huge margin with self-modifying, unrolled code. The resolution would be smaller, but you only have to write 1kB instead of 15kB? per frame.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Memblers wrote:Don't forget these demos.
There's also this.