Cool "Streemerz" game from Action52 Remake Project

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

Cool "Streemerz" game from Action52 Remake Project

Post by Dwedit » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:51 pm

I've just played through this Flash game several times:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/MrPodunkian/streemerz/

It's supposedly a remake of the Streemerz game from Action 52, but it's more of a Bionic Commando style action/puzzle game, complete with authentic 8-bit Engrish.

And some levels make Battle Kid seem easy.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Fun! A lot better than the original. :cry: :roll: :wink:

Thanks for the link!

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:03 am

Pretty cool game. The dialog is great! =)

I just wish these NES-like projects were actually made for the NES. That would make them so much cooler!

tepples

Post by tepples » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:31 am

tokumaru wrote:I just wish these NES-like projects were actually made for the NES. That would make them so much cooler!
Sometimes it's useful to prototype the game first on a "big" platform and then reduce it to the small platform. This lets the original developers concentrate on balancing the game itself, even with inefficient programming, and leave fighting the target platform's limitations to the port team. This can be seen in the "Hong Kong Originals" (common in the far east) and 16-bit to SMS ports (common in Brazil, as I understand it).

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Problem is there's an awful lot of prototyping and very little porting! This Streemerz game would make a great homebrew.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:32 pm

i though that a 16 bit to 8 bit conversion was a very bad idea as seeing that some people tried to make super mario world for NES.

But seeing how someone made a perfect rickroll song on the NES and how tinytoons adventures had layering to make a better looking image im sure this is possible. to make a great port of a game.

tepples

Post by tepples » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:46 pm

gamax92 wrote:i though that a 16 bit to 8 bit conversion was a very bad idea as seeing that some people tried to make super mario world for NES.
Some other ports, such as the HKO ports of Aladdin for Genesis and Aladdin for Super NES, would have been decent with a bit more polish in the play control. Also see any Game Boy Color game; the GBC is not unlike an NES with MMC5 and more RAM.

So I guess the next step is to contact the game's author to see if 1. he wants the game ported, and 2. he can offer any help with the port, such as design documents.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:18 pm

I just decided to play the game and i dont like part of the dialog "Don't touch master y's balls" dont you think that sound a little wrong? other than that the game is exciting and fun. I think porting this to the nes would work fine but i see a few parts where 5 colors were used instead or 4 colors. That might be an issue.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:27 pm

gamax92 wrote:"Don't touch master y's balls" dont you think that sound a little wrong?
Yeah, but that's the point. The dialog is crap, like in lots of old games, to the point of sounding like sexual comments at times. The dialog in this game is half of the fun!

thefox

Post by thefox » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:27 pm

It's a pretty simple game, but it sure is fun! Too bad the resolution is wrong (320x240). Would love to see this ported over to the NES. Actually I'm kind of interested in doing that myself, because lack of graphics has always been the biggest problem with NESDev for me. However the levels would need to be re-designed or horizontal scrolling implemented because of the resolution.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:32 pm

hmm i didn't realize the resolution problem but it can be fixed by cropping the screens off a little bit or by making the level look the same but not exactly the same.

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Or even...*gasp*... horizontal scrolling!
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

tepples

Post by tepples » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:28 pm

Just don't handle the camera like Lode Runner, where the player can't see much in front of his character. But the few screens I played through look like they could easily be modified for a 16x15 MT layout.

The web page linked at the top of the topic played a (fairly long) commercial for HP printers that print over the Internet, then a black screen. I had to reload the page to get it to load.

thefox

Post by thefox » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:49 pm

I actually started working on this after okaying it with the original author first. He sent me the player sprites but hasn't responded to my latest message where I asked for more assets (levels...). :)

Here's how it looks currently:

"Streaming" (not fine tuned yet), physics, collisions etc are already done. Just need to implement the pie throwing clowns (pretty simple) and the fire candles. And a bunch of other stuff, but it's looking pretty good.

I was wondering if somebody would like to help with converting the levels? The job is simple but tedious: take screenshots of each screen in the Flash game and edit all sprites/etc out.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Cool!!!