It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:03 am 

mic_: I hear the little lock ups as well. Might be a shot in the dark but you may wish to try a few options... Not worrying about the extra channels, have you tried to see if it "locks up" with GNROM instead? Maybe it has to do with VRC6's mapper code on the PowerPak... Are your mapper files on your card up to date? Do you need NTSC testers with PowerPak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 pm 

It could be the mapper implementation. I don't know.
I'm using the latest mappers from the retrozone website (1.34).

I can't just switch VRC6 for GNROM since it doesn't use the same mapping scheme. My code relies on the fact that I can switch 16k at $8000 and 8k at $C000, and it'd be non-trivial to change that.

Here's the ROM used for the latest video in case you want to try it on an NTSC console: rushjet1_evilboss2.nes
And here's one where the lockup is really noticeable (shortly after the intro ends): tintin_vgm.nes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:04 pm 

I'll check it out when I can. I know you can't just swap them, but GNROM is similar enough in how much PRG and CHR that it can handle.

I tested it on hardware. It sounds exactly the same as your recording (except for my expansion channels being louder. ;P)

That's good news because it seems that only the frame before NESVGM bankswitches back to the first pattern/frame/bank that it does the slight hanging as well. It does not hang on any other frame no matter how long it loops.

Edit:

EvilBoss2 VGM

It skips in the VGM as well. Not sure if you have an issue or not.

I imported the VGM into MOD2PSG2 and it appears that if you look at pattern #16 that it was done purposefully.

PSGMOD

Are we talking about the same "locking up" here?

Also regarding the Tintin conversion, I don't notice any sort of locking up whatsoever on my NTSC console.

Here is an MP3 render from hardware.

Last edited by B00daW on Sun May 29, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:32 pm 

Try the second ROM (tintin_vgm.nes) and you should hear what I mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:46 pm 

Crap, I didn't edit quick enough.

Check my post above. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:59 pm 

That's really strange. Here's what it sounds like on my console: tintin_pal.mp3

What's your PowerPak ROM/Card version? Mine says 1.00 / 1.34.
Maybe it's a hardware issue. The weird thing is that it only happens in some songs, but it happens at the same spot in those songs all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:09 pm 

Mine's ROM v1.10 and card v1.34. The newest ROM version is v1.11, but it's only an aesthetic change.

You'll need to have your PowerPak ROM updated by a USB CopyNES. I tried hacking in the code from BunnyBoy's USB CopyNES software to Quietust's CopyNESW (LPT) but I'm not good enough at C to do it.

You might want to ask around on the forum if there is anyone around your area with a USB CopyNES.

Still that might not even be the issue. I'm not sure, mic_.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:09 pm 

hi

in-game from MasterMind (by me)
Final Take-Off (Afterburner)

i'm sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:50 am 

B00daW wrote:
Mine's ROM v1.10 and card v1.34. The newest ROM version is v1.11, but it's only an aesthetic change.

You'll need to have your PowerPak ROM updated by a USB CopyNES. I tried hacking in the code from BunnyBoy's USB CopyNES software to Quietust's CopyNESW (LPT) but I'm not good enough at C to do it.

You might want to ask around on the forum if there is anyone around your area with a USB CopyNES.

Still that might not even be the issue. I'm not sure, mic_.

Yeah, it would be nice if someone with the same PowerPak SW versions (boot ROM 1.00 and mappers 1.34) could test the tintin_vgm.nes ROM on their NES. If they don't get the problem, then at least I could rule out any software issue.

Here's the player + ROM builder tool + source code: nesvgm-1.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:06 pm 

Looks like you're ignoring the optional frequency divider part of the VGM header. Good thing the 2A0x has enough lower-octaves to compensate; even though its not really easy to do on SN7- hardware.

Here's an example of Chris Kelly's 1ultra which was included in MOD2PSG2.

A solution to this issue is that you could drop the notes' octaves by 1 to compensate and it should sound fairly accurate.

Btw, do you know of a real way to pull off the 2x frequency divider for a hardware VGM player for GG/SMS? Wouldn't the crystal have to be underclocked? Would it be possible to lag the frequencies in the player routine?

Also, here is an example of a 116K VGM2NES that is a lot of wank that I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:42 am 

mic_ wrote:
Yeah, it would be nice if someone with the same PowerPak SW versions (boot ROM 1.00 and mappers 1.34) could test the tintin_vgm.nes ROM on their NES. If they don't get the problem, then at least I could rule out any software issue.

I have boot ROM 1.00 and downloaded 1.34 mappers from RetroZone website, and it worked without glitches (PAL NES).

Here's a rather strange (unrelated) thing.. since I had a custom set of mappers on PowerPak prior to downloading 1.34, I renamed the directory to something like POWERPAK-custom (I also had other older versions of the mappers renamed like this) and then extracted 1.34 on the CF in POWERPAK directory... For some strange reason it was showing 1.33B1 as the version at bootup, like it was reading them from the wrong directory. I then went to add an underscore in front of all the mapper dir names and it displayed 1.34. I tried removing the underscores once again and yep, it's reading from the wrong directory again.

Soo.. I guess it's only checking the first 8 characters of the filename, and uses the one which happens to come first in the file system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:06 am 

To be thorough, when I upgrade mappers, I perform a "clean install": I backup all folders except /POWERPAK, reformat, and restore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:21 am 

Seems like the distortion is due to interference from the audio mod. I fiddled around a bit with the wires leading to the potentiometer, and some of the lockups in the Tintin song vanished (though not all of them).

Quote:
Looks like you're ignoring the optional frequency divider part of the VGM header. Good thing the 2A0x has enough lower-octaves to compensate; even though its not really easy to do on SN7- hardware.

Yeah, all my frequency tables are based on an SN76489 clock of 3579545 Hz. But it wouldn't be that hard to make the ROM builder tool overwrite the tables with new values based on the clock setting found in the VGM.

Quote:
Btw, do you know of a real way to pull off the 2x frequency divider for a hardware VGM player for GG/SMS? Wouldn't the crystal have to be underclocked? Would it be possible to lag the frequencies in the player routine?

You could set the tone channel periods to zero to get a constant high output, and do SW-generated square waves by modifying the volume at precise intervals. But I'm sceptical about the possibility of pulling that off for 3 channels simultaneously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:04 pm 

Here's an updated version that supports custom SN clock settings between 1 and 7 Mhz: nesvgm-2.zip

I've also added support for NES VGMs, as specified by VGM 1.60. There's an example of such a song included in the archive (ff3_battle).