Help with graphic ripping?

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

darkhog

Help with graphic ripping?

Post by darkhog »

Could someone help me with ripping green dino from Adventure Island 3? I've found all the others, but I can't find green one. Also I am unable to rip it myself - the AI3 CHR rom is so messed up that I can't find all sprites for the green dino - only managed to find half of his head.

Also if someone would want to fullfill my request, I have also some expectations in regard to format of dump.

I need one-line spritesheet with sprites placed even (as in monospace fonts). I need all animations of green dino.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I think that game had a debug mode where you could view all the sprites/animations, unless I'm thinking of AI2.
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

Even if it had, I don't know how to invoke it.

//edit: Yes, I've tried Konami code, btw.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Sorry, I looked it up and I guess it was the 2nd one I was thinking of.
http://tcrf.net/Adventure_Island_2
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

It turned out that AS4 has also debug mode - put codes

GAXXSSZE
AAUZOIZA (in that order)

then select password on title screen. Even though AS4 has also green dino - I still need help with ripping it since I can't pinpoint where it is located (I know that's under OBJ menu, but rest is mystery). .
Denine

Post by Denine »

In AS3, Green dino is at the 0x39000 address.
Here's chunk of GFX, with green dino in red squares.
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

Yeah, but it is so messed up that it's hard to rip it. Anyway - I need all its animations.
qbradq

Post by qbradq »

Sounds like you've not done this before. Typically the sprites in NES games have tiles spread out over the CHR ROM, or if you're lucky all grouped together. But rarely are they arranged in the ROM itself. Most of the time data tables are used to assemble different pieces of the sprite into different arrangements to create animations. The only way you're going to be able to get all of the frames without hacking the ROM is to extract them from screen shots.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Why not just use frame advance and screenshot features? It is way faster.
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

Problem is that Nestopia for Linux don't have frame advance (or I don't know of it) and all other emulators either don't work under wine, have problems with AI3/4 rom or don't have this feature. Believe me - this was first thing I though about, because it is simplest way to go.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Screenshots of all the animation frames (some are redundant).
tepples

Post by tepples »

darkhog wrote:emulators either don't work under wine
Have you reported failure under Wine to the maintainer of each affected emulator?
have problems with AI3/4 rom
Have you reported defective emulation to the maintainer of each affected emulator?
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

Yeah, but for wine thing, most of the authors don't care and for problems with AI roms - it'll take some time before they'll fix it and I don't have time to waste.

Thanks for screencaps, Shiru. Now I can go for it.