NES Screen Tool

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Minor fix, the program didn't opened custom palette when called with double click from other directory. Version number haven't changed.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Update, now you can export current tileset or nametable as BMP. Could be useful if you want to just draw authentic NES graphics and not to use it in an actual NES project, or to mockup something with full featured graphics editor.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

There were two updates. Few minor fixes, and now you can create metasprte definitions for programs, currently as a C array only.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Is it just me, or does applying tiles no longer work?
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

It works if you press down 'Apply tile' button.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Shiru wrote:It works if you press down 'Apply tile' button.
I actually just figured it out. I accidentally hit the CAPSLOCK button on my netbooks tiny keyboard. Apparently it works the same as the shift key. :)
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Yes, it is very useful when you rearrange nametable and need to use shift all the time.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Shiru wrote:Yes, it is very useful when you rearrange nametable and need to use shift all the time.
I agree, it is a very useful feature now that I know it exists.
byemu

Post by byemu »

Cool!
Thanks!
Brickman

Post by Brickman »

Thank you for this tool Shiru! I can finally copy/paste in my photoshop pixel art verbatim (via graphics gale)... something i couldn't do in yy-chr.
JKeefe56

Post by JKeefe56 »

Shiru, thank you so much for this tool! For some reason, I still can't figure out how to copy/paste from MSPaint, or export (it keeps telling me my bitmap needs to be 4 or 8 bpp). Anyway, I know that's user error, I just can't figure it out. The real reason I was writing, was just to say thanks. This tool is really helpful, way easier than TLP and YYCHR combined!
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Currently you can only import uncompressed BMP files. They should be exactly 256x240, with 16 or 256 colors (i.e. palettized).
JKeefe56

Post by JKeefe56 »

Perfect. Thanks agin,!
tepples

Post by tepples »

Thank you for making NESst. It works fine in Wine on Xubuntu 11.10. Now I have a bit of a feature request:

I'm working on a multicart that will include several homebrew NROM games. (LM, LM, and ZS are among them.) One way I can save space in the multicart is to compress the tile data, and the compression ratio improves if I blank out tiles that I know are unused. A lot of games seem to have some sort of repetitive 'X' marks in unused areas of CHR ROM, which compress well using some codecs but poorly with others.

Currently I can Import from an NES cartridge image. I'd like an option on the Export menu to save my changes to the CHR data back to the cartridge image.

And a minor bug report:

When CHR banks A and B are active, the "Interleave" and "Deinterleave" options affect only bank A's data, not bank B's, even if I have bank B visible.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

The CHR import is currently NROM only. Is it enough to have import/export for NROM only, or you need this for larger files (this would require to add a way to select a bank in the file)?