UNROM Clone PCB + Schematic

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

FARID

UNROM Clone PCB + Schematic

Post by FARID » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:36 pm

PCB and Schematic, designed with Proteus V7.7 SP2.

Don't use pictures for making PCB, thay are not in accurate size.

Download UNROM Clone PCB + Schematic
Last edited by FARID on Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

qbradq

Post by qbradq » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:10 pm

FARID

Post by FARID » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:21 pm

Then I will take care of it 8) Please help me to complete it :

This is Contra(U) for Famicom which is Mapper 2 - UNROM

Bootgod Database

Front :

Back :

I need some information about how H and V works. what should I write about them in schematic.

What are other transistors in the NES cartridge at bootgod database? In my Famicom cartridge there is not any extra transistor!

infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:02 pm

I didn't draw all the interconnecting lines in there because it gets messy quick. I'll throw them in if the labeling doesn't make sense to you.

Hopefully that helps. If you want UNROM instead of UOROM just ground all the UOROM input pins and leave the outputs floating.

Not sure about the extra transitor what's it connected to?

The mirroring is basically just connecting CIRAM A10 to CHR A10 or A11. If CIRAM A10 is shorted to A10 (H bridge soldered) it's Vertical mirroring. If CIRAM is shorted to A11 (V bridge soldered) it's Horizontal mirroring. The labeling is kinda backward to what you'd think. But basically close the V if you want horizontal and vice versa. Contra is Vertical mirroring so CIRAM A10 is shorted to CHR A10.

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:39 pm

FARID wrote: This is Contra(U) for Famicom
Huh ?? Is this some kind of pirated cart or something ?
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary components.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:08 am

infiniteneslives wrote:The labeling is kinda backward to what you'd think.
That's because the reverse engineered documentation uses a different terminology from the one used by Nintendo. Our documentation says which screens repeat, Nintendo says which ones don't.

tepples

Post by tepples » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:40 am

Yep, we got it backwards. As the wiki puts it: "A horizontal arrangement of the nametables results in vertical mirroring [...] On cartridge boards made by Nintendo, this is selected by shorting the 'H' solder pad (for 'horizontal arrangement')." I guess that's why they call it "reverse" engineering :P

FARID

Post by FARID » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:22 am

Please let me know about any kinds of mistakes :

infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:49 pm

FARID wrote:Please let me know about any kinds of mistakes :
I looked over the mapper chips quick and everything there looks good.

Just to make anyone aware that might be using this as a reference though: FARID changed up the pins compared to the standard wiring. It's all logically the same and will work fine, but things like which OR gate he chose to use for what signal are different. So I wouldn't use it as an exact reference for standard UNROM boards.

FARID

Post by FARID » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:35 pm

FARID changed up the pins compared to the standard wiring. It's all logically the same and will work fine, but things like which OR gate he chose to use for what signal are different. So I wouldn't use it as an exact reference for standard UNROM boards
Thanks for your attention. Yes I changed some wiring to the pins of 74LS32. But you know this a a Clone not a real schematic as it is mentioned on the schematic.

Here is also PCB :

Front

Back

Here is PCB and Schematic layout files for proteus v7.7 SP2. If you want you can chagne it as you like.

qbradq

Post by qbradq » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:41 am

Dang man, good contribution! I'm sure that'll come in handy to several folks around here.

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:39 am

Yeah, I'm pretty sure memblers also had made an custom UNROM board too, but this one is Famicom shaped instead of NES shaped.

BTW I wonder if it's possible to made new Famicom shaped game cases ?
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary components.

FARID

Post by FARID » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:40 am

qbradq wrote:Dang man, good contribution! I'm sure that'll come in handy to several folks around here.
I wonder what is in your mind?! :idea:

Bregalad wrote: BTW I wonder if it's possible to made new Famicom shaped game cases ?
New?! Do we really need a new case? This fits exactly to my old Famicom cases and I am pleased with it! :roll:

tepples

Post by tepples » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:34 am

FARID wrote:New?! Do we really need a new case? This fits exactly to my old Famicom cases and I am pleased with it! :roll:
I think that suggestion was for manufacturing new games from scratch without donor cases, much like the 72-pin case kits sold in RetroZone's NES Dev Tools section.

infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:45 pm

It's definitely possible to make cart plastics for the FC. It's just cost inhibitive to machine the mold for injection plastics unless you're making 100s-1000s of them.

I have aspirations to make cases for myself once I get my 3d printer together. They wouldn't be as pretty as injection molding, but more achievable and dirt cheap in small quantities. They'd still a lot better than slaughtering original carts for plastics.