Nomolos: Storming the Catsle

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Hi clueless, thanks for the offer. bigjt_2, creator of Assimilate, will be showing a video of Nomolos there. qbradq, another video may be forthcoming in the next couple of months or so. On the other hand, I might just spring the game on the community unawares. We'll see :D
GradualGames

new blog post

Post by GradualGames »

Hey everyone, sorry I've been MIA for a while, been busy with, well pretty much everything, including Nomolos. Here's a new video of the game, in preparation for MAGFest X. Me and the rest of my Gradual Games staff will be there. Hope some of you can come out and meet us and check out the game! Enjoy the video.

Nomolos progress as of Dec 4, 2011
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

WOW it's really progressed! Can't wait to see the final version! Looks and looks like it feels like many of the original games, it kinda reminded me of Castlevania in a way and with more platforming, sweet job so far dude keep it going! :D
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Nice work! This is the first time I've seen this project. It took me a second to figure out what game it reminded me of most. Definitely Addam's Family for Gameboy. Especially with the throwing swords, jumping on windowsills, running around in the woods, annoying bats and all. One of my old favorites for sure. Although I'm guessing it wasn't a motivator for this at all, just coincidence. Anyways it looks great, looking forward to seeing/playing more!
Denine

Post by Denine »

Spring 2012? Great!
On technical side, game looks super solid!
Visuals are not awesome, but I like them. They are giving me strange, yet good feeling.It feels like a distant past, old games I was playing when still child.
I liked music from video, good job.
I can guess that you can have several powerups? Propably only 1 at time?
From what I can gather, game is rather easy?
Here's a new video of the game, in preparation for MAGFest X. Me and the rest of my Gradual Games staff will be there.Hope some of you can come out and meet us and check out the game!
Ahhh, too bad I can't go, good luck:)
How many people is in your team?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Awesome! Few people here get very far with their projects, so you get points just by being where you are now. I must also congratulate you for going way beyond the commonplace and making something way more interesting and advanced than the typical single-screen game.

There are some things I didn't like though... mostly the stiffness of the main character (both in physics and graphics), the abundance of black backgrounds and some of the graphics. I strongly believe that if you got another artist to touch up the graphics a bit the game would look much better.

Other than that I liked everything: the music, the enemies and the pace of the action. Congratulations.
thefox

Post by thefox »

So, are you planning to do a cart release or release it as a ROM?
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tepples

Post by tepples »

I notice from the video that floors are very low, and they might get cut off on some NTSC TVs. The video appears to have been clipped to lines 8 to 231, and the floor still looks dangerously low for a game with bottomless pits. To make absolutely sure that everything is visible, I'd recommend moving everything up by one tile. You can do this by setting the Y scroll position to 8 and moving sprites to compensate.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Have you considered doing something a bit different with the camera? Like having a little buffer zone in the middle for scrolling areas? I dunno, personally I think it looks a bit better.

Interesting read here: http://nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=8197
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Thanks for the tips and kind remarks, I appreciate it. As for cart release, I would definitely like to, but it seems the scene definitely has a lot more developers than cart producers in recent months. It may be a (free) ROM release. We do intend to design box art and manual PDFs though that would go with it, so people would have the option of having a repro produced for themselves individually.

As for a new camera system, or any type of change that could induce unforeseen consequences in the rest of the engine, this sort of thing will have to wait for a future game. Nomolos is our first game, hopefully not our last!
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

Great progress. I'm looking forward to playing it when you release it.
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

Is "catsle" intentionally misspelled? At first I thought it was a typo, but noticed it was on the game's title screen in an earlier video of the game. I thought it was worth pointing out just in case it's not intentional.

Edit: Oh wait. The main character is a cat. I get it. :oops:
Kreese

Post by Kreese »

Looks really promising. Nice graphics, gameplay etc...

The only thing that bugs me a bit is the animation of the main character. He looks a bit stiff when moving, and wave to much with his arm when jumping. Why does he lift his arm upwards when jumping?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Kreese wrote:Why does he lift his arm upwards when jumping?
Doesn't Mario do the same thing?
Kreese

Post by Kreese »

I guess you're right... But look at the part when the cat walks down from the blocks, like stairs. He hold his arm straight down, up, down, up etc. like he waving.