My pixelart.

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

shao

My pixelart.

Post by shao »

Hi, this is a door of a church I'm doing for my game, at the end but I'm using a color plus for each box of 16 x 16, if I understand correctly that the NES can only use 3 colors plus black but I 1 color used more, sorry.

:roll:

Reference.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Your picture actually use 6 colors, and they are too many shades of brown, so it is more suitable for SNES or MD than for NES.
shao

Post by shao »

ouch, that's true, uses 6 colors, vere to edit to put in 4.
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

It's not 3 colors+black. It's 3 colors+another color.

The NES has 4 palettes that can be on screen at a time for backgrounds.

Each 16x16 part of the background can use only one palette.

Each palette has four color entries. 3 color entries in each palette can be unique. The fourth color has to be the same in all 4 palettes.

So

1. (Brown)
2. Green
3. Light Green
4. Blue

1. (Brown)
2. Light Brown
3. White
4. Red

1. (Brown)
2. Beige
3. Purple
4. Orange

1. (Brown)
2. Blue
3. Light Blue
4. White

Is a valid set of palettes. Brown is the color that is the same in all four. If I changed it, to say... black in one palette it would change it to black in all the palettes.

As well, you can't use any color. You have to use colors from a specific set: http://bisqwit.iki.fi/utils/nespalette.php Unless you use color emphasis, all your colors must be from the top four rows there.
shao

Post by shao »

ok, I was not quite right, thanks for the detailed information!.
usr_share

Post by usr_share »

The art itself is really, really nice. Sadly, as pointed before, you have to use a specific palette, as well as follow the color limitations.

Also, the actual palette differs a bit on different TVs and even on emulators.

By the way (I hope you won't object), here is a quick view of how the same image could look if following the color requirements -- the modification is minimal:

(Note: I ripped my palette from FCEUX, and that was probably a horrible decision)
shao

Post by shao »

I see, you have eliminated two colors if I remember correctly, had been well but I slowly stand back from the constraints of NES and now I'm skipping some limitations , thanks. :oops:
caramelpuffpuff

Re:

Post by caramelpuffpuff »

shao wrote:I see, you have eliminated two colors if I remember correctly, had been well but I slowly stand back from the constraints of NES and now I'm skipping some limitations , thanks. :oops:
Well, it COULD be possible with using those colors by using another color palette as "layers", but it get's difficult...

Don't know how to explain it, but this (BEAUTIFUL) link could show it. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9461&hilit=zelda+SNES
I am thinking of requesting a tutor [free] to learn NES programming in 6502 Assembly, as I am still baffled on the Bunnyboy 6504 lessons. If anyone want to help, I'm happy.
Bear in mind I may act silly or have trouble understanding, so please bear with me.
shao

Re: My pixelart.

Post by shao »

Yes, I was watching that thread for some time, good work that my partner did Spanish.
Thanks for the suggestion!.
ptoing

Re: My pixelart.

Post by ptoing »

Quite nice looking door. A bit too noisy for my taste though. Too much dither and single pixels.

Also I just did a check in my graphic program. The size is not a multiple of 8 (should be 96 pixels high instead of 92). And it also is 169 tiles, which is a bit excessive.