puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Post by tepples »

ZapPing is part of Zap Ruder 0.02.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

Leaving out the sound problem, Tepples you can try zapper emulation with this version?
To try shoot offscreen, you can go in fullscreen (Left Alt + Enter) and then press "p" to leave the stretch. At this point you will have probably same offscreen space.
I dont't know which version you use, so...
Last edited by FHorse on Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I use the Linux 32-bit version, and my PC's screen is 1024x600 pixels.

I tried Zap Ruder: Y Coord 1 Gun on my PowerPak.
  1. Unplug the Zapper. It should show Y=0 HT=180.
  2. Plug in the Zapper and point off screen. It should show Y=180 HT=0. punes32 treats offscreen like unplugged.
  3. Point at the screen. It should show something like Y=69 HT=26. (HT is the time for the photodiode's signal to decay.)
  4. Reduce the BRIGHT by pressing up or down. The HT should decrease slightly as the BRIGHT decreases. At BRIGHT 0, I get nothing, as if pointed off screen. At BRIGHT 1, I get about HT 17.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

ok, you can try this?
Last edited by FHorse on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

That one appears to work fine with Y Coord 1 Gun, ZapPing, and the new "Music Toy: Axe" in an unreleased version. Now all I need is a way to point offscreen while in windowed mode, so that the player can switch from 1 DUCK to 2 DUCKS or CLAY SHOOTING in Duck Hunt. Here are some ideas:
  • Hold a key to cover up the barrel
  • Right-click to shoot offscreen and then point offscreen until next left-click
  • Treat windowed mode the same way you currently treat full-screen mode: When the mouse isn't over the window, point offscreen.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

tepples wrote:Right-click to shoot offscreen and then point offscreen until next left-click
I really like this idea :D . Many thanks for the feedback and for the help, tepples.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

I preferred to do it the "cover the barrel" way, the right button simulates the offscreen, then clicking the left button while holding down the right the player made a shoot offscreen.
Last edited by FHorse on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
FARID

Post by FARID »

First of all thanks for the efforts.

I have some suggestions to make your emulator better :

1. Add compile date to about

2. Add joystick support for 4-Player games

3. Add turbo buttons

4. Work on Joystick configuration and make it more easy to use and user friendly. Look at Virtua NESand see how it configures the buttons.

5. For configuring the controller I don't like to switch my hand between controller and mouse. I like to click only once on one of buttons then start pressing buttons in sequence. Look at NNNester to find out better.

6. Combine Keyboard and Joystick configurations, I don't think we need two column for them.

7. If you can use a controller picture in some way :

8. Add option for showing FPS on screen

9. Create save file so that we can keep and use them later

9. Add record sound and video options

10. Add save screenshot

11. Add netplay option for Killera
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

Hi FARID.
FARID wrote:1. Add compile date to about
Done.
FARID wrote:2. Add joystick support for 4-Player games
Spare time allows, my intention is to emulate accurately everything about the NES.
FARID wrote:3. Add turbo buttons
A turbo function is already implemented. If you hold the left shift on the keyboard emulator will run at double speed.
FARID wrote:4. Work on Joystick configuration and make it more easy to use and user friendly. Look at Virtua NESand see how it configures the buttons.

5. For configuring the controller I don't like to switch my hand between controller and mouse. I like to click only once on one of buttons then start pressing buttons in sequence. Look at NNNester to find out better.
You're right, the configuration is not user friendly. I'll work on it.
FARID wrote:6. Combine Keyboard and Joystick configurations, I don't think we need two column for them.
There are two columns because you can use simultaneously both (keyboard and joystick). I find it useful for some of my experiments and so for the moment I'm not going to eliminate them.
FARID wrote:8. Add option for showing FPS on screen
I will do.
FARID wrote:9. Create save file so that we can keep and use them later
I do already. On Windows files are stored in "<Documents>/puNES/save", on Linux "${HOME}/.puNES/save".
FARID wrote:9. Add record sound and video options

10. Add save screenshot
I will do.
FARID wrote:11. Add netplay option for Killera
I am planning to implement a function of NetPlay, but I don't think of using Kaillera because it hasn't a linux client (wrong?).
FHorse

Version 0.48

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
More accurate Zapper emulation (thx tepples). Right button of mouse emulates the pointing of the Zapper outside the TV screen. So, to make a shoot offscreen, you must press the left mouse button while holding down the right.
Added Bilinear filter.
Rearranged the menu filter (Hint: reselect the desired filter and then save the configuration).
Fixed many bugs in opengl codes (now, on fullscreen, aspect ratio is maintained properly).
tepples

Post by tepples »

FHorse wrote:H
FARID wrote:3. Add turbo buttons
A turbo function is already implemented. If you hold the left shift on the keyboard emulator will run at double speed.
Does someone mean "turbo" as in the sense of the extra buttons on the NES Max controller? These use an oscillator circuit to turn the A and B buttons on and off 15 to 30 times a second.
FARID wrote:11. Add netplay option for Killera
I am planning to implement a function of NetPlay, but I don't think of using Kaillera because it hasn't a linux client (wrong?).
Kaillera is Windows-only, non-free, and discontinued. But netplay is essentially streaming a movie file. You stream the keypresses of the players at your station to the server, and the server streams everyone's.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Any reason for supporting 4 joypads, other than "emulating every NES aspect/property/device/whatever"? I seriously doubt about 4 guys playing a NES emulator in a PC.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Zepper wrote:Any reason for supporting 4 joypads, other than "emulating every NES aspect/property/device/whatever"? I seriously doubt about 4 guys playing a NES emulator in a PC.
First, PCs can be connected to modern television monitors. Second, Smash TV allows using two controllers for one player or four controllers for two players. Third, adding Four Score support gives Super NES controller support for free: map A, X, L, R to player 3/4 A, B, Select, and Start.
FARID

Post by FARID »

Zepper wrote:Any reason for supporting 4 joypads, other than "emulating every NES aspect/property/device/whatever"? I seriously doubt about 4 guys playing a NES emulator in a PC.
The only reason I am working on NES is :

Kunio-kun no Nekketsu Soccer League (J) [!].nes
Downtown - Nekketsu Koushin Kyoku - Soreyuke Daiundoukai (J).nes
Try to find three other guys and play these two games in 4-Player mode with Nestopia, then you will see what NES is capable of ...

Every now and then which we have a party I and my cousins do the same thing. I bought a laptop and four USB controllers to play these two games but the problem is I have 10 cousins, so we need to play in turn but you know I am the master and fixed player!
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

Here's six people playing the 8-player N-warp Daisakusen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klQ44tNVZ88

I'm assuming that having access to an emulator that supported eight joypads played a part in its being made (but he may have done it all on hardware, would have to ask him.)

Bomberman's always been the big one that a lot of people seem to like to play on the same computer.

Now you want really obscure fun, I have a RawInput driver that allows up to 16 unique keyboards and 16 unique mice :D