New users or not?

Discussion about the site's wikis, including bugs/issues encountered.

Moderator: Moderators

koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Follow-up to my own post:

I want to apologise (albeit slightly; that is to say, I don't feel bad for anything I've written, but I fully acknowledge it's very harsh) for what I wrote above. Rather than edit it, I felt replying would be more appropriate/fair.

Right now I have more things going on in my life that I think I've ever had to handle at the same time, some of which are demanding, others are devastating. So needless to say I'm under a lot of stress and my tolerance level (in general) is extremely thin. Don't take it personally -- just how things are for me right now. I imagine they'll be better (sort of) come April, but eh, outside of the topic...
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

koitsu wrote:Follow-up to my own post:

I want to apologise (albeit slightly; that is to say, I don't feel bad for anything I've written, but I fully acknowledge it's very harsh) for what I wrote above. Rather than edit it, I felt replying would be more appropriate/fair.

Right now I have more things going on in my life that I think I've ever had to handle at the same time, some of which are demanding, others are devastating. So needless to say I'm under a lot of stress and my tolerance level (in general) is extremely thin. Don't take it personally -- just how things are for me right now. I imagine they'll be better (sort of) come April, but eh, outside of the topic...
My reply thanking you for taking the time to give a shit seems to have been lost or removed. Ah well. Thanks for taking the time and giving a shit!
tepples

Post by tepples »

cpow wrote:My reply thanking you for taking the time to give a shit seems to have been lost or removed.
Perhaps someone inferred sarcasm from the phrasing. Some people's sarcasm detectors are mistuned, and this appears especially common among programmers for some reason. It may take extra effort to get across that a particular comment is in sarcasm mode or sincerity mode.
RLError

Post by RLError »

There needs to ba an admin appreciation day.

Thanks, man! You must do all kinds of stuff that is totally invisible to users like me, but it makes my user experience much easier.

Thank you.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

cpow wrote:My reply thanking you for taking the time to give a shit seems to have been lost or removed. Ah well. Thanks for taking the time and giving a shit!
Is this real? Looks like a bot replying... o.O
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

RLError wrote:There needs to ba an admin appreciation day.
There has been for years, it's just that the entire world (not this board, I really do mean the majority of the world) doesn't care enough to consider celebrating it in some way. I guess I can't blame people, because most "admins" of things these days tend to not know anything about what they're administrating, so we actual admins are left celebrating it ourselves, by ourselves, with a beer or some tears. :-)
RLError

Post by RLError »

I knew I should have checked to see if there already was an admin appreciation day before making that post! :)
Karatorian

Post by Karatorian »

While I don't know all the technical details behind phpBB and MediaWiki, it seems like it ought to be possible to tie the wiki user accounts directly to the board accounts. So only board accounts in good standing even have wiki accounts.

That would allow your existing spam fighting to also combat wiki spammers (even if they only spam account creation). It would also remove the need for board members who want to edit the wiki to explicitly sign up, and also remove the admin overhead (small as it probably is) of approving such requests.

Of course, such a move would require developing a plug-in for phpBB, MediaWiki, or both. (Or, perhaps, some sort of standalone script that could be run from a cron job.) I suppose there may not be admin time (or skills, depending) to develop such a thing, but if there is, I think it would be an elegant solution.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

It would make a single sign-on possible but wouldn't fix the spam issue since the BBS allow anyone to create users account, which now would allow to create spam on the wiki.

Since the real new users on the wiki are quite small, the return on investment would be too small unfortunately.