Midwest Gaming Classic 2012

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

DHG Hunter

Midwest Gaming Classic 2012

Post by DHG Hunter » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:32 pm

The Midwest Gaming Classic just announced its dates, location, Friday festivities, and opened up ticket pre-orders:

Date: March 24 & 25, 2012
Some festivities begin Friday, March 23

Where: Sheraton Milwaukee Brookfield Hotel in Wisconsin

Tickets: $25 for Saturday & Sunday (Found here: http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/tickets/ )

What's New So Far:
  • If you pre-order your tickets, certain areas will be available to you 30 minutes prior to the general public on Saturday, March 24.
  • There are several ticket packages available this year including one that takes a Friday road trip to local collector Tom Taylor's impressive 300+ unit in-home arcade.
  • There are now two Friday night tournaments: the original Friday Night Clock Chaos tournament for pinball and a new, console video game tournament in the museum called the Friday Night Up to Par tournament. Details will be forthcoming.
What's Stayed the Same:
  • We held the line again on ticket prices which is pretty impressive when you consider we've done this now for the last several years despite our own costs climbing.
  • Similarly, the Sheraton room rates are also remaining the same at $89 a night. Every regular room was sold out at this rate this last show.
I'm not sure if we announced it here post MGC 2011, but the MGC recorded more than 5,000 visitors for the first time ever over the two-day event! A big THANK YOU to all of you here that helped make that possible! I really enjoyed the NES projects you brought with this year!

I believe Dan is already working with some of you on an event for MGC 2012 so I will leave it at that for now.

For more information about the show, you can visit www.midwestgamingclassic.com or our new official blog at www.mgcindepth.com

Later.

clueless

Post by clueless » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Awesome! Already blocked that week on my calendar for the event.

I've not heard from Dan yet. Are we going to do another NES homebrew booth?

tepples

Post by tepples » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:12 pm

I plan to come, and Nova plans to ask his dad for money for bus+hotel+tickets.

EDIT: it didn't work out
Last edited by tepples on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

clueless

Post by clueless » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:21 am

Excellent. Hopefully we can get Kevtris to attend this year too.

DHG Hunter

Post by DHG Hunter » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:04 am

clueless wrote:I've not heard from Dan yet. Are we going to do another NES homebrew booth?
I've spoken with Dan about the area and I was under the impression that it was moving forward again. He's probably trying to figure out how the whole Community Hall area will fit this year before contacting you about the extent of the area.

Later.

whicker

Post by whicker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:23 pm

Any more people going to this?

It's coming up pretty darn quick.

I know I'm going, as it's too close to me to not go. (Well, at least 3 hours away, but that's close enough).

Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:46 pm

I'll be there.

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Holy hell, didn't know this was going on. If you guys are going to be demoing homebrew and such, I'd be interested in giving you guys a copy of boom to have available for playing. Well, a ROM, but I assume there'll be flash carts there. Just PM me if you would want to.

drk421

Post by drk421 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Bummer, I'm still in SoCal.

clueless

Post by clueless » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:00 am

Yes, we'll have probably 3 systems. There are several home-brewers attending and we'll be demoing our games, and each other's stuff. I'd be happy to drop your ROM image on my powerpak. If you can't make it, I'll talk about your game for you and hand out flyers / game instructions, etc...

The MGC is fast approaching. Please don't want until the last minute to contact us, especially if you need table space and can provide your own system. We have room for one or two more systems, depending on the size of your TV/LCD and how large of a TV big_jt brings for his own system.

NES homebrewers' exhibit will be in the same room as last time. We'll be sharing the room with an exhibit from Nintendo Age and a console modding group. Ben Heck will be in a different room this year.

From what I know, the following regulars from nesdev will be attending for sure:
  • * clueless (me!) (Yars' Revenge clone)
    * Memblers (Garage Cart, other cart work)
    * Big_JT (Assimilate)
    * Rizz (Armed for Battle)
    * Marshallh + Ryan (N64drive)
I think that Tepples and Nova will make it, with their games and the Action 53 project. If Tepples cannot make it, we'll demo Action 53 for him. Tepples?

I live very near the Hotel where the MGC is held. I plan on taking Friday before the MGC off from work. I'd like to gather any homebrewers up for a dinner and social evening on Friday. Big_jt needs to eat some more flaming cheese!

We're going to have a blast. If any of you can make it, please do so!

tepples

Post by tepples » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Nova and I can't make it this year. I'll have Action 53 ROMs ready this weekend, with one change to one game that clueless requested.

EDIT:
It uses mapper 34 (oversize BNROM) with vertical mirroring. I have 512 KiB and 256 KiB versions; both work on a PowerPak. The smaller version just doesn't have NES15 and Pogo Cats. One of the games requires a Zapper (no, it's not Panesian Power; it's a lot more E-rated than that) and can work with two Zappers. Will anyone be bringing Zappers?

tepples

Post by tepples » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:04 am

I ultimately had to leave Pogo Cats out of it due to glitches on NES that didn't appear on Mednafen or FCEUX. So here's a 256 KiB taste of Action 53 for MGC. Make your selection now.

Returning from 2011: Concentration Room, LJ65, Munchie Attack, Thwaite
Compo entries: FHBG, LAN Master, Lawn Mower, Slappin'
Other games: MineShaft, ZapPing, Zooming Secretary
Toy (requires Zapper): Axe

EDIT: fixed link
Last edited by tepples on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:29 pm

This Action 53 thing looks so nice and polished, almost makes me want to make a game for it.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Pretty nice! Tepples, you have been doing a lot of zapper stuff, huh? Man, the collision detection in Forehead Block Guy is incredibly bad...

clueless

Post by clueless » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:55 am

Very nice work, Tepples.