New game - Alter Ego

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Shiru wrote:Alter Ego got free PC version.
Yea, I was surprised to see this pop up in my youtube stream a few days ago. I follow a few indie game guys on youtube. Did you have any part in this? I see they are distributing your NES version along with this.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Denis used my NES graphics as base for PC version, and Kulor made improved soundtrack, which he is also released as an album recently.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Does the PC version use any of the code from the NES version? :)
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

I don't know, probably not. It is XNA, .NET, etc.
tepples

Post by tepples »

XNA uses C#. Is there a way to translate automatically between C# and any "native" language so that changes to one are reflected in the other, or must one write the program three times, producing a C# version, a native version, and an exhaustive unit test framework that checks whether the C# version and the native version produce bit-for-bit identical physics and AI?
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

I don't know much about C#, but as I know, it does not have global variables, just like many other object oriented languages. C on NES forces to use them a lot, so you certainly need to do some changes in the code (put it in a class or something). Also, type sizes are different.
tepples

Post by tepples »

So now how do we port Alter Ego to AS3 so that it can go on a Flash game collection like Armor Games?

(Just as a stopped clock is right twice a day, spam can occasionally be on-topic.)
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Okay I bump this topic to say I just finished the game, and I want to congratulate Shiriu and his team for developing this game.

I said before it's hard but I was completely wrong, in fact it turned out to be quite easy (if you just spend some time and some live to understand the game) but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The music is really good too !

The only "bad" thing about this game is that the enemy skulls are so slow it pisses me off to wait for them to slowly walk and I usually lose lives stupidly running into them from behind.
Also there is no real reason to replay it once you figured out all the puzzles. Although I'll probably find myself replaying it once in awhile for the music.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
slobu

Post by slobu »

tepples wrote:So now how do we port Alter Ego to AS3 so that it can go on a Flash game collection like Armor Games?

(Just as a stopped clock is right twice a day, spam can occasionally be on-topic.)
Why port a single game? Convert an emulator into an xcode project that will run one ROM with a checksum file so it isn't a "general emulator"

App Store Money.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Apple forbids emulators that let users run games other than those built into the emulator.
slobu

Post by slobu »

tepples wrote:Apple forbids emulators that let users run games other than those built into the emulator.
Exactly.

Package Alter Ego.NES and a checksum file into the .IPA

Okay, maybe checksum isn't the right word. A password file that only allows the appropriate ROM file to run.
tepples

Post by tepples »

And that is in fact being done for another game in which Shiru was involved. It's just that the licensing for Alter Ego is less clear, it being a port of someone else's game and all.
Macifom

If someone wants to figure out the rights, I'm down

Post by Macifom »

tepples wrote:And that is in fact being done for another game in which Shiru was involved. It's just that the licensing for Alter Ego is less clear, it being a port of someone else's game and all.
If there's anyone who'd like to clarify and negotiate the rights, I'm down to give Alter Ego the Zooming Secretary treatment and put it on the App Store.
OscarRichard

Post by OscarRichard »

I tried this game and it's really entertaining! (Didn't know about puzzles like this) When I get more time, I'll try to beat the last level. Great job, Shiru & company.
Maybe I'll try the other versions.