How to make a famicom cartridge rom dump device?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

byemu

Post by byemu » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:12 am

I want to dump my multigame carts.
so i want to make a famicom cartridge rom dump device!

have two project:
1 make a new device.
2 convert a nintendo famicom.

maybe debug mapper is needed!
Who can give me some good advice.

Hamtaro126

Re: How to make a famicom cartridge rom dump device?

Post by Hamtaro126 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:04 am

byemu wrote:How to make a famicom cartridge rom dump device?

I want to dump my multigame carts.
so i want to make a famicom cartridge rom dump device!

have two project:
1 make a new device.
2 convert a nintendo famicom.

maybe debug mapper is needed!
Who can give me some good advice.

There is CopyNES for those with Windows XP 32bit,

Or there is a option to use Chris Covell's TapeDump program, Only Requires Hardware, But you have to be careful using it, and requires only a Famicom, not a NES or any Famiclones!

Better yet, Make your own solution if you may.
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.

infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:53 am

The kazzo you built is a decent option in my opinion. Although the firmware and scripts are challenging to grasp. If you're looking to take on the project it'd be worth while to write your own firmware for it. I plan to at some point but it's a back burner kind of project.

One of the challenges of multicast dumping is reverse engineering the mapper. Most are apparently very mmc3 like so if you can grasp mmc3 you'll probably have more luck decrypting those carts' mappers.

byemu

Post by byemu » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:24 pm

infiniteneslives wrote:The kazzo you built is a decent option in my opinion. Although the firmware and scripts are challenging to grasp. If you're looking to take on the project it'd be worth while to write your own firmware for it. I plan to at some point but it's a back burner kind of project.

One of the challenges of multicast dumping is reverse engineering the mapper. Most are apparently very mmc3 like so if you can grasp mmc3 you'll probably have more luck decrypting those carts' mappers.

I use the kazzo dumped some roms(some multigames,some new mapper),and i try to improve the firmware,develop the new client(it's finished)!

So this is an option!
Later,I want to try to play cartridges on a pc emulator with this device(kazzo is too slow).

LocalH

Post by LocalH » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:56 am

Hamtaro126 wrote:Or there is a option to use Chris Covell's TapeDump program, Only Requires Hardware, But you have to be careful using it, and requires only a Famicom, not a NES or any Famiclones!

I would imagine it would work fine on an NES with disabled 10NES, for the record.

Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:11 am

LocalH wrote:
Hamtaro126 wrote:Or there is a option to use Chris Covell's TapeDump program, Only Requires Hardware, But you have to be careful using it, and requires only a Famicom, not a NES or any Famiclones!

I would imagine it would work fine on an NES with disabled 10NES, for the record.

Ok, My Mistake.
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.

ccovell

Post by ccovell » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:14 am

LocalH wrote:

Indeed, it's even marked in red under "safety notes" #2.

http://www.chrismcovell.com/TapeDump_Controls.html

A Famiclone would also probably run TapeDump just fine; it's the PowerPak that has problems with clones.

byemu

Post by byemu » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:11 pm

ccovell wrote:
LocalH wrote:

A Famiclone would also probably run TapeDump just fine; it's the PowerPak that has problems with clones.

i'll try it!

ouso1999

Post by ouso1999 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:52 pm

ok but i wonder how u place the dumptape on the powerpack and how powerpack will work on famicom
Like a sunset
Dying with the rising of the moon
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

byemu

Post by byemu » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:06 pm

ouso1999 wrote:ok but i wonder how u place the dumptape on the powerpack and how powerpack will work on famicom

I can buy a famicom cart,and replace the chr and prg to eeprom,use the kazzo write program to eeprom!

byemu

Post by byemu » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:36 pm

ccovell wrote:
LocalH wrote:

can you release a custom rom,
can :
1 specify address to write data!
2 specify read address range to read vrom via audio.
3 specify read address range to read prom via audio.

mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:12 pm

I thought TapeDump requires you to have knowledge of which mapper the game uses. Don't many multigames use obscure, custom, or most importantly undocumented mappers, rendering the technique less than reliable?

byemu

Post by byemu » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:46 am

mikejmoffitt wrote:I thought TapeDump requires you to have knowledge of which mapper the game uses. Don't many multigames use obscure, custom, or most importantly undocumented mappers, rendering the technique less than reliable?

I dumped some undocumented mappers!

[What's that "ROM dump" all over this page? --MOD]

teaguecl

Post by teaguecl » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:24 pm

mikejmoffitt wrote:I thought TapeDump requires you to have knowledge of which mapper the game uses. Don't many multigames use obscure, custom, or most importantly undocumented mappers, rendering the technique less than reliable?

This is true of any dumping technique that uses the cart edge - you need knowledge of the mapper in order to switch in the correct memory to read. If you pull the ROM chips out you can obviously dump the entire contents without knowing about the mapper - but the rom image isn't very useful until you know how the mapper works anyway. Bottom line, figuring out the mapper is worth the effort.

ccovell

Post by ccovell » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:51 pm

byemu wrote:can you release a custom rom,
can :
1 specify address to write data!
2 specify read address range to read vrom via audio.
3 specify read address range to read prom via audio.

It's an idea that I might work on someday... but I still have many things on my plate right now (including a baby...)
For now, you're better off modifying an existing mapper definition (there is a program that assembles them included in the source code directory.)