It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:11 am 

Okay so here's the deal about the favicon for forums.nesdev.com:

I added this to the <head> section of overall_header.html in the associated Theme + deleted the cached header data. You can do all of this from within the phpBB config GUI, thankfully:

Code:
<link rel="icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

I based this off of what people here said, because this guy has no idea what he's talking about ("point it to the same directory as your config.php" -- guy doesn't understand the difference between a filesystem and a URL). The argument over "where" to add the <link> statements is retarded; they go anywhere in the <head> section: PERIOD.

Now in Firefox when I add the site to my bookmarks, I get an icon for it in my bookmarks menu. However, visiting the site normally (without the bookmark) does not show the icon, regardless if I have a bookmark for the site or not. Apparently this behaviour changed in more recent Firefox releases; the favicon, no matter what, does not display for me in the URL bar. Mozilla apparently removed support for this feature circa April 2012. Here's another reference.

In IE (I can confirm IE 8.x at least), this isn't the case; the favicon appears just fine in both cases (bookmarks or URL bar).

I should note I retract my statement about there being a web server oddity -- http://www.parodius.com/ behaves the same as as forums.nesdev.com (and we do have a favicon as well). So this is purely a web browser vs. web browser version thing. Nothing to see here, move along. ;-)

So that's about all we can do about the favicon ordeal. Hopefully the above details will suffice for people.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:58 am 
Formerly 65024U

Favicon works in chrome now too, just saying. At least my version, which is 21. Shouldn't be too different from versions 4/9+ anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:13 am 

Edit: Nevermind! Closing and reopening firefox fixed the favicon.

...Which is odd because I close it every night and reopen it every day, so why it only just now fixed it is beyond me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:59 pm 
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Fixed here top on... Chromium (Ubuntu).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:24 am 

I have favicon turned off for everything (including bookmarks), but this is because the browser I use does not support favicon because I have removed that feature.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:38 pm 

Looks like the old DNS has finally stopped resolving for me.
Only reason I was even using an old link in the first place has to do with six-month old backups.

Last edited by Dwedit on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:43 pm 

I removed A and MX records from the parodius.com domain this morning.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:59 am 

Old thread, but I wanted to link folks some stuff. I thought I linked these things in the past, but maybe not allcombined into a single post for ease of viewing. Plus I recently closed down my Youtube account and "migrated" all my uploaded videos (which included one of the Parodius hardware inventory, most of which is still sitting in my garage) to my Gmail account, so the video got a new URL.

Photos from over the years:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5g5191yb11tfou1/HtuqkxROYB

And the video showing our inventory, which I took the same night after I closed everything down + hauled all the hardware out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gf-HAYJotQ

Some quick details about things you'll see in there, naming conventions, etc.:

• HE stands for Hurricane Electric, who is one of the worst co-location providers I ever dealt with. I've publicly disclosed my displeasure with them many times over. The datacenter in the photos is known as FMT1, while what they have today is called FMT2, but the same problems exist to this day. The photos from 2002 were when we shared a cage with someone else, and I had basically zero knowledge (or care) of doing proper cable management; the goal was "get some boxes in the rack, plug things in, call it done". I don't operate like that today. :-)
  • BAIS stands for Bay Area Internet Services, who sometime last year was obtained (or maybe sold to?) a company called vXchnge (who I have no experience with). They were quite good and I was happy with them for many years, but once Facebook took over literally half the SC2 datacenter (see below) they really went down hill. They were located at the border of Sunnyvale and Santa Clara, California. Here's a link to their old website (lots of things there don't work any longer).
  • SC1 stands for Santa Clara 1, which was BAIS' first datacenter until they built a brand new during 2009 and opened it in early 2010. SC1 was kind of a nightmare, especially with regards to cooling. Initially it was fine, but as they got more and more customers they kept having rooftop AC failures. We never had any outages relating to heat, but things were pretty ugly for a while.
  • SC2 stands for Santa Clara 2, which was BAIS' revamped/new datacenter, and was one of the best datacenters I ever had the opportunity to use. Here's a video of theirs talking about the datacenter design, in case you're curious about the quality. (I see vXchnge changed all the logos/text in the video for rebranding, and removed the part where the CEO of BAIS talked for 2-3 minutes about the design... sigh...)
  • The god-awful picture from 2010/02 of a rat's nest of cables and systems and Linksys residential routers (being used as firewalls from what I can tell) was taken by a friend of mine. It was another customers' cage, and was his first introduction into how awful co-lo customers are in general (shoving desktop PCs onto shelves, nothing being properly rack mounted, AC "wall warts" on generic residential equipment, etc.). He had no idea this was common behaviour in co-los, and it's pretty much run-of-the-mill. He called the picture "routed.jpg", which I thought was an appropriately hilarious name.

It's almost 0200 PDT here, so I need to sleep, but I started writing "the history of" document that I promised myself I'd write years ago (and at one point, in 2000 or so, actually DID write -- it was about 30-40KBytes -- but then I lost it in a bad fat-fingering mistake during some filesystem work at home (I lost about 15 years worth of pictures too)) as I wrote the above, so maybe this weekend I'll spend some time writing it up + putting it on my blog or somewhere. There's a lot about Parodius people don't know -- like how we were called Crystalis Software originally, and the funny story of how I coerced a (female) friend of mine to drive me 3 hours to Central Oregon in the middle of the night to find out why one of our boxes had gone offline.

P.S. -- And yes, for those wondering, in early 2014 I restored some of the parodius.com DNS records for websites and set up HTTP redirections for convenience.