I Wanna Flip The Sky

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Tom

I Wanna Flip The Sky

Post by Tom »

I Wanna Flip The Sky is a game I threw together for the NEO Flash contest. It's a platformer along the lines of I Wanna Be The Guy, Battle Kid, etc. In each level you're trying to reach the exit door while avoiding traps like spikes and conveyor belts. The trick is you can flip gravity a limited number of times each level. Some screenshots:

Try it out here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?owq8t594c9au5rg
-Tom
thefox

Re: I Wanna Flip The Sky

Post by thefox »

Not bad. Needs music. :)
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Some things feel weird, such as walking in the opposite direction on a conveyor belt, because the character's speed is the exact same as the speed of the conveyor belt. It would look more natural if the player moved slightly faster, so that he'd still move forward, but veeeery slowly.

One thing I found frustrating is that the sides of the spikes can kill you. That's expected from spiky balls, but not vertical spikes.
jayminer

Post by jayminer »

I like it a lot, it plays well and it's a very nice game idea!
-----
slightly bored and severly confused...
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

In all honestly : meh.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

It's, um, rather 8-bit hard.
LocalH

Post by LocalH »

VVVVVV meets IWBTG. Very nice :)
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

I like it! Yes, it would be good to have music too. How many levels are there in total? It is difficult but I like it that way.
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Yeah, coming from somebody who's pretty good at games, it's a tad too hard. Lowering the gravity speed would help a ton though. I like the game though! :)
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

3gengames wrote:Yeah, coming from somebody who's pretty good at games, it's a tad too hard. Lowering the gravity speed would help a ton though. I like the game though! :)
I am obviously not the target audience for this game. But great effort!
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

The last level was very hard, even with savestates and speed down.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

So this is running NROM with VRAM then right?
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
Denine

Post by Denine »

At first I was like "OMG, this game is familiar to my upcoming homebrew" but after playing it was only "Meh, it feels different".(Yep, I'm like little, jealous boy sometimes)
Like others have said-It could use some music.
The wall jump feels excatly the same as in my beta "Upward" conveyor belt- It's hard to make use of it.
The solution I came up was to let the player hold directional arrow and freeze player mid-air. "A" button makes a "uncontrollable" jump forward. That way it's less frustrating to make wall jumps.
Also-forgive me for my english, I'm not a native english speaker. I'm trying to improve it, though.
So this is running NROM with VRAM then right?
Yes.
One thing I found frustrating is that the sides of the spikes can kill you. That's expected from spiky balls, but not vertical spikes.
Me too.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I once made a game where you could safely walk on spikes, or even end a jump (not descending) on spikes. But if you descended onto spikes, they killed you.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks everyone who tried it out!
tokumaru wrote:Some things feel weird, such as walking in the opposite direction on a conveyor belt, because the character's speed is the exact same as the speed of the conveyor belt. It would look more natural if the player moved slightly faster, so that he'd still move forward, but veeeery slowly.
Yes, but it opens up some possibilities for level design. Likewise, I think having a little acceleration/deceleration for horizontal movement feels nicer, but for a game like this you want more precision so I went with directly setting velocity.
LocalH wrote:VVVVVV meets IWBTG. Very nice :)
Huh, I hadn't heard of VVVVVV. It's pretty good! I'm happy it plays a bit differently than my game.
zzo38 wrote:How many levels are there in total?
12 right now.
3gengames wrote:Yeah, coming from somebody who's pretty good at games, it's a tad too hard.
I'm generally pretty bad at these sorts of games, so I was afraid I made it too easy. Except the last level. That one is just mean.
Denine wrote:The wall jump feels excatly the same as in my beta "Upward" conveyor belt- It's hard to make use of it.
Do you mean it's difficult to execute the wall jump, or that after a wall jump it hard to control where you go?
-Tom