NES tile format

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Grumskiz

Re: NES tile format

Post by Grumskiz »

Hrm, I was wrong then. Sorry, if my mistake caused any confusion. Time to read up on some of the wiki pages again :P

@thefox
Yeah I think I remember trying out if they can be combined. Since I have no way of testing on real hardware I used FCEUX. I guess it wasn't the best choice.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Grumskiz wrote:Since I have no way of testing on real hardware I used FCEUX. I guess it wasn't the best choice.
FCEUX is a great development tool because of all the debugging features, but it shouldn't be your ONLY emulator, as its fairly inaccurate in several areas.
Grumskiz

Post by Grumskiz »

@tokumaru
It isn't. Or to be honest, it isn't anymore. I now use the linux version of nestopia for testing "if something works" and when I don't need any of the debugging tools that FCEUX offers.
From what I know it is just as accurate as the Windows version. (Though NSF playback appears to be buggy sometimes..)
Unfortunately Nintendulator (isn't it the most accurate?) does not work properly for me using the Wine software. It does not respond to any keyboard input. I could maybe try to use a virtual windows machine, but that would defeat the purpose of quickly testing something in an emulator.

Back to Topic:
I have to agree with usr_share now that I think about it. With the possible combination of emphasis bits a slider to select them seems odd and inconvenient.

One last thing a little off-topic:
Can someone name me some examples of games that combine all the emphasis bits? Maybe I have never paid any attention to it or I just don't know the games. Are there any official ones by Nintendo or is it just third-party or unlicensed/homebrew stuff?
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

All Eurocom games (James Bond Jr., Jungle Book, etc), Felix the Cat.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Just Breed doesn't work on Famicom TVs or Famicom Titler because Just Breed turns on all three tint bits, and that results in a solid white screen on the RGB PPU used in those products.
nintendo8

Post by nintendo8 »

Grumskiz wrote:Hrm, I was wrong then. Sorry, if my mistake caused any confusion. Time to read up on some of the wiki pages again :P
No you did not cause conusion I already knew that the de-empesis bits can be put together. Anyways I will change the slider to boxes (the slider went up to 7 I can understand how that can make combining de-ephessis bits confusing). Also one thing that needs to be done before I release the program is an undo buffer sometimes while testing the program one thing I found annoying is not being able to undo stuff. How high priority do all you users think an undo buffer is? Also I almost finished image importing that should make things easier if somebody wants to use a real photograph in an NES game or Sega Genesis game. Also my program now my program supports the NES tile format. If anybody has anything else that should be in my program please post it.