Special:LinkSearch does not work

Discussion about the site's wikis, including bugs/issues encountered.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Special:LinkSearch does not work

Post by tepples »

While trying to excise Parodius links from the wiki, I ran into a little problem:

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Special:LinkSearch
produces
Fatal error: Call to a member function addWikiMsg() on a non-object in /home/ndwiki/www/w/includes/specials/SpecialLinkSearch.php on line 82
tepples

Re: Special:LinkSearch does not work

Post by tepples »

After the migration, this is still broken.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

I'll look at it. Pretty sure I can figure it out to some degree.

Edit: Okay, it's a bug in MediaWiki 1.18.0 which has since been fixed in 1.18.1. This thread has the answer -- very bottom of the page, from user Bawolff.

The solution is not as easy as just replacing $out on line 62 with $wgOut -- doing that results in an actual exception error due to lack of method LinkSearchPage::getLanguage existing and so on.

So I took a look at the 1.18.1 tag in SVN to figure out what had changed. Quite a lot, actually.

Given what I can see there, it looks like they revamped a very large portion of something (meaning much more than just in that single file). I think a better idea would be to upgrade MediaWiki from 1.18.0 to 1.18.1 or even newer (latest stable is 1.19.1). I'm happy to do that, as I think I did the last MW upgrade we had.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Until very recently, I would recommend upgrading to 1.18.4 because 1.19's extension downloader was b0rked. I couldn't get the updated extensions for 1.19 when I upgraded pineight.com/mw from 1.16 to 1.18 in late June. But now that I've checked mediawiki.org again today, it may have been fixed.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Sounds like upgrading to the latest 1.18.x version (and avoiding 1.19.x for the time being, until everything can be verified) might be the better (safer) choice. Thoughts?
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Yes, I guess it is the wisest choice. The latest is not always the best. If this was the case then 1.18 wouldn't be supported anymore.

Let's move it to 1.18.4 then.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

I'll try to dedicate some time this weekend to doing this.
tepples

Post by tepples »

As of today, the 1.18.4 upgrade is not quite as urgent, as I realized I can search my HTML backup of the wiki for the word "parodius".
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Sorry, I'd forgotten about doing this with all the hectic crap going on. (Last week was a blur, same with the preceding weekend)

One of the main reasons I'm lagging -- quite literally -- is that my Internet connection has been shit for over 3 weeks (next Tuesday will make the start of the 4th week), and I don't want packet loss or drop-outs to screw up something I'm doing (and I hate GNU screen :P). The issue is affecting multiple people in my area, not just me. I have a technician (the 3rd one I've seen) coming out Saturday afternoon to hopefully rectify this whole thing, but I have very little faith at this point.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

koitsu wrote:(and I hate GNU screen :P).
This is entirely a random tangent, but have you heard of tmux?
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

lidnariq wrote:
koitsu wrote:(and I hate GNU screen :P).
This is entirely a random tangent, but have you heard of tmux?
Yes, and I regularly advocate its usage over GNU screen. :-)
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Internet connection this weekend has been complete shit. In fact, today is one of the worst days yet (see graphs). On the bright side, the tech who came out Saturday, and his supervisor, were both able to confirm that multiple customers in my immediate area are all having this problem and its been assigned to a network tech for resolution (network in this sense is a US cable industry term and refers to the actual cable network that exists within a city, i.e. equipment and wire up on poles). I was given a general estimate of 24 hours to resolution, but its pretty obvious that no network tech is going to do shit about this until at bare minimum Tuesday (Monday is a US holiday (Labour Day)).

So we'll have to wait on me doing the upgrade until this gets fixed, or unless tepples/WhoaMan wants to take a stab at it.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Sigh, I fucking hate micromanaging ISPs. It really pisses me off. It's the only way to get shit done, sadly.

Supposedly a network tech "resolved the problem" (closed the ticket) on 09/02, except he didn't put any information in it regarding what he did to fix it. And that jibes with reality, because the situation is the exact same. Not a single improvement.

Comcast is sending out *another* tech this Saturday (that's the soonest they had a spot for; sigh) to try and figure out what in the fuck the previous tech supposedly did, but the vote so far (including from the CSR) is that the network tech who resolved the ticket actually didn't do a single thing.

The level of incompetence here in the Bay Area never ceases to amaze me. People working from 11am-4pm (plus an hour lunch), not doing their jobs, blah blah blah. Eventually the real world is going to realise this and stop relying on Silicon Valley entirely. So many worthless douchebags here (tell us how you really feel, koitsu! ;-) )
tepples

Post by tepples »

Koitsu fixed it when upgrading the wiki to MediaWiki 1.20.2.