Character Frames

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Denine

Re: Character Frames

Post by Denine »

Shiru wrote: You can increase number of colors by using few palettes for different 8x8 parts of the sprite, however, it'll reduce number of colors for other sprite objects on the screen. The picture you posted is not follow these limitations.
Yes, that's true. However, the first sprite of the picture he posted CAN follow limitations. He just have to use layers, like you said.
True, it will decrease number of colors for other objects, BUT megaman have 6 colors(3 for body and 3 for face), so if you plan it carefully, you can have 4 colors for hero. Especially, if you plan to have a common enemy with legs color or shirt's.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

The top sprite is doable if you use different palettes for the upper (black + dark red + skin) and lower (black + dark cyan + whatever is useful for other sprites) halves, like in Contra. What's up with the weird shadows in the bottom sprites anyway?
Amini

Post by Amini »

tokumaru wrote:The top sprite is doable if you use different palettes for the upper (black + dark red + skin) and lower (black + dark cyan + whatever is useful for other sprites) halves, like in Contra. What's up with the weird shadows in the bottom sprites anyway?
Actually, those arent shadows. As I put in the topic post I said that this might be a game, and the character here gets turned into a machine. Those are wires and metal.

But Im going to try and make it so it fits.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Amini wrote:Those are wires and metal.
That will be very hard to do in such small resolution and so few colors. I think that the only way you'll be able to make convincing machine parts is by overlaying new sprites containing such parts, and use more conventional metal colors for them, like gray and cyan, otherwise people will hardly be able to tell what they are.
Amini

Post by Amini »

tokumaru wrote:
Amini wrote:Those are wires and metal.
That will be very hard to do in such small resolution and so few colors. I think that the only way you'll be able to make convincing machine parts is by overlaying new sprites containing such parts, and use more conventional metal colors for them, like gray and cyan, otherwise people will hardly be able to tell what they are.
Ok. That is a bit confusing, but I'll try.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

What's confusing? I'll try to explain a bit better:

Draw the top of the character using one palette (black, dark red, skin). Since this palette is a red-ish gradient, it can easily be reused for other objects. Draw the bottom of the character using a second palette (black, dark cyan, light cyan), so his pants are dark cyan. Now, using this same palette, draw the metal pieces that will "roboticize" the character (half a face, and arm, whatever), and place these parts on top of the regular sprite. By keeping things separated like that, you'll even be able to roboticize/deroboticize the character during the game without having to redraw all animation frames, you just overlay the metal sprites on top of the regular sprite.
Denine

Post by Denine »

I'm always reculant with helping because I'm afraid of saying something wrong. Sorry if I mess something, but I want to help.
I think that you should break your sprite into 3 sections.
Like this:
First is upper body and it uses pal0. second is lower body which uses pal1. Finally, we have a layer for our metal part. It also uses pal1.
the sprite at bottom is what you get when you combine all 3 into one.
By keeping things separated like that, you'll even be able to roboticize/deroboticize the character during the game without having to redraw all animation frames, you just overlay the metal sprites on top of the regular sprite.
Yes, that's true. I left some dots in first part of sprite so you can have additional, red color in your metal part. BUT you will not be able to roboticize/deroboticize your character anymore.
By the way: The height of body parts are not dividable by 8. (upper is 19 and lower is 17.)This will result in throwing extra sprites to complete whole hero, unfortunately.
Amini

Post by Amini »

Denine wrote:I'm always reculant with helping because I'm afraid of saying something wrong. Sorry if I mess something, but I want to help.
I think that you should break your sprite into 3 sections.
Like this:
First is upper body and it uses pal0. second is lower body which uses pal1. Finally, we have a layer for our metal part. It also uses pal1.
the sprite at bottom is what you get when you combine all 3 into one.
By keeping things separated like that, you'll even be able to roboticize/deroboticize the character during the game without having to redraw all animation frames, you just overlay the metal sprites on top of the regular sprite.
Yes, that's true. I left some dots in first part of sprite so you can have additional, red color in your metal part. BUT you will not be able to roboticize/deroboticize your character anymore.
Thanks A bunch! I'm sure this will come to be really useful.