It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
 Post subject: Re: Mesen - NES Emulator
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:58 pm 

The debugger is very nice (though a bit slow on my old comp). Thank you.

Is this the most accurate nes emulator?

Whats the bsnes of the nes world?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:55 pm 

There isn't one best-of-breed NES emulator.

I'd say you'd be pretty well off with any of Nestopia, Nintendulator, puNES, or Mesen.

Although to be quite honest, if you're not doing development, FCEUX is plenty accurate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:42 am 

Mesen right now finishes all those emulator test ROMs perfectly that others don't. Stock Nintendulator, thought of being the most accurate of the older emulators, still has CPU/PPU synchronization very slightly off. Don't know about puNES.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:23 pm 

It's hard to say what's the "most accurate" - the reality is that many have similar accuracy and will run the majority of licensed titles without any issues (arguably, a lot of them might have "bsnes-level" accuracy in terms of NES emulation). For NES development, I try to make Mesen as "mean" as possible so that game devs can at least feel relatively confident that their code should work on a real NES, too.

As far as test roms, Mesen passes more or less all of them - but that doesn't mean it's "perfect". There are definitely a number of things (e.g stuff that no game would ever rely on) it doesn't simulate anywhere near perfection. Trying to emulate every single detail would incur too much loss of performance to the point where some older computers might have trouble running it (esp. with the debugger tools active). At this point, I try to limit any "improvements" to accuracy to either things that have little to no performance cost or things that actually matter in real games (licensed or not)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:09 am 
Formerly Fx3

Hi Sour.

I'm not familiar with Mesen. I'd like to trace Rc Pro-AM II and compare the log with my emulator. This game is unplayable in RockNES. How do I generate a trace log?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:52 pm 

Open the debugger (Tools->Debugger) and then the trace Logger (Tools->Trace Logger).
There are a few options to configure what's shown in the log (if you're using one of the latest dev builds you can customize the format).

Just press "Start Logging" to select a file & create a trace log.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:29 pm 

I don't know if it's different in the latest dev build, currently using Mesen Version: DevWin-0.9.5.139, but, to open the Trace Logger I always had to click Debug>(the only option) to then click the Trace Logger icon inside of the Debugger that opened.

But, after clicking Options>Preferences and checking the last box, under General, "Enable developer mode",

then you just simply reopen Mesen, click Debug>"Trace Logger" and have fun trace logging.

My penultimate post in this thread, I think, holds my current "Format: Override" line, if you are interested. :)
edit: Sorry, it's in the second post from the top of page 26. Just want to correct my mistake. : )

final edit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29