It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
 Post subject: Re: Mesen - NES Emulator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:34 am 

Yes, most NES ROM images were headered a long time ago, when mappers 153, 157 and 159 had not yet been assigned. I hope to soon be ready to release my NES 2.0 header-adjusting utility, which should take care of that problem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:28 pm 

Like I mentioned a few days ago, I'll be away from home starting tomorrow until early December, so I won't be able to make any fixes/changes until I get back (and will probably end up taking a few days to reply to any message I get here). So hopefully nothing goes horribly wrong during that time! ...if it does, you're on your own :p

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:11 pm 

Found a bug with label assignment. Not urgent, but I may forget to report later. Have a great trip!

Example code.

Code:
LDA $10 ; mouse click cursor here
PHA
LDA $20
PHA

1. I click F2, window for address $10 opens, type the label, click Enter to save.
2. Use arrows Down,Down to go to next address
3. Click F2 - window for address $10 opens (should be $20)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:10 pm 

A few issues with the database :

Olympus no Tatakai: Ai no Densetsu - Database claims this game has W-RAM, but it's U.S. counterpart, Battle of Olympus, does not. Both versions write to W-RAM after starting a new game or continuing an old game, but they do not read from it.

Business Wars: Database claims this game has battery backed W-RAM, but the game uses a password function to Continue. W-RAM should be the right value.

Dark Lord: Database claims this game has W-RAM, but this game is an RPG and according to a walkthrough I read, it uses a non-password save system. Battery backed W-RAM should be the right value.

Nestopia UE's recent v1.49 release has the same issues plus it only gives 8K to Dezaemon, which has 32K.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:22 am 

Found an issue with the debugger. Here's an example:

Code:
                      lda var
                      beq _is_zero

_is_not_zero:         lda array, X
                      .db $2C

_is_zero:             lda #$FF
                      sta v0
                      rts

The first time it ran, 'var' was non-zero, so it went through the array access path (lda, bit, sta, rts). Later on, 'var' was zero, so it went through the constant access path (lda, sta, rts). While I was stepping through, the debugger branched to the line "BIT $FFA9", but executed "LDA #$FF".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:38 am 

When you jump into the middle of an instruction, what do you expect the debugger to display, so that I can translate this into a proper issue for Sour to fix once back from vacation?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:46 pm 

I would show whatever valid instruction the PC points to. In this example, LDA #$FF.

The debugger was highlighted on line $FE66, but the actual value of the PC was $FE67.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:58 pm 

Thanks. Reported as issue #513.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:28 pm 

More or less a behavior with all emulator is something we found recently and affect only people that develop software. If by accident you define a chr a size that is not a power of 2, the emulator will run them well but it will fail on flash cart like the power pak when run.

Since flash cart are more common these days and so is homebrew, it would be a nice option to have some kind of warning to let you know that your rom is not valid in size. Is there such an option in mesen? If so, I want to activate it ^^;;;

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:19 pm 

Yeah some emulators like BGB (Game Boy emulator) have something like that I think. It lets you know things like if the internal header or CRC is invalid and also whether the game would run on real hardware or not due to the above problem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:38 am 

On the Nametable Viewer screen, it would be nice to have an additional option for "Highlight Tile Updates" that would print numbers over the tiles to show the order in which those tiles were written to vram.

Also, is the visual cue different if a tile was written to more than once in a frame?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39