EZNSF tool for building NES ROM from NSF

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

EZNSF tool for building NES ROM from NSF

Post by rainwarrior »

I had a really bad bout of insomnia over the weekend, so I decided to get around to making a tool that I'd promised a long time ago.

EZNSF is intended to make it easy to turn an NSF into a ROM you can play in an emulator or on a flash cart, etc.

Basically just make an NSF with Famitracker, edit a little album description text file, run the utility, and out pops a ROM. The default mapper is the newish Mapper 31, which makes NSF bankswitching possible to support. Several good emulators, as well as the Everdrive N8 now support mapper 31, but there is also an NROM output option for those that need it.

https://github.com/bbbradsmith/eznsf/re ... /eznsf.zip
https://github.com/bbbradsmith/eznsf

There's a lot more explanation in the readme file. Everything's open source. It requires Python 3.

Edit: if you want to compile several NSFs into one album, there is a more advanced counterpart of this project called ZENSF.
Last edited by rainwarrior on Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nothingtosay

Re: EZNSF tool for building NES ROM from NSF

Post by nothingtosay »

I'm sure I'll be using this a lot when I get an Everdrive! In the thread with loopy's FDSStick you said you wanted to figure out how to build FDS files. I'm assuming since this doesn't support that you haven't been able to yet?
rainwarrior

Re: EZNSF tool for building NES ROM from NSF

Post by rainwarrior »

I can build FDS files, the problem isn't how to do it.

I hadn't really considered FDS support for this. It could be done, I suppose, but my primary target was mapper 31. The NROM option was an afterthought, but FDS could be supported in a similar way.

Anyhow, I'll think about doing it if I ever revisit this project, though higher on my to-do list would be writing a mapper 31 implementation for PowerPak. It would be lovely if someone got around to that for me, though. ;)