It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:19 pm 

I’m writing a gameboy emulator and I’ve come to implementing the graphics. However I can’t quite figure out how it works with the cpu as far as timing/clock cycles go. Does the CPU execute a certain amount of cycles (if so how many) and then hand it of to the GPU? Or is the gameboy always in a hblank/vblank state and the GPU uses the CPU in between them? I can’t find any information that helps me with this. Nothing really explains how the GPU works, only that setting certain values changes certain things.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:51 pm 

The Game Boy CPU and PPU run in parallel. The 4.2 MHz master clock is also the dot clock. It's divided by 2 to form the PPU's 2.1 MHz memory access clock, and divided by 4 to form a multi-phase 1.05 MHz clock used by the CPU.

Each scanline is 456 dots (114 CPU cycles) long and consists of mode 2 (OAM search), mode 3 (active picture), and mode 0 (horizontal blanking). Mode 2 is 80 dots long (2 for each OAM entry), mode 3 is about 168 plus about 10 more for each sprite on a given line, and mode 0 is the rest. After 144 scanlines are drawn are 10 lines of mode 1 (vertical blanking), for a total of 154 lines or 70224 dots per screen. The CPU can't see VRAM (writes are ignored and reads are $FF) during mode 3, but it can during other modes. The CPU can't see OAM during modes 2 and 3, but it can during blanking modes (0 and 1).

To make the estimate for mode 3 more precise, see "Nitty Gritty Gameboy Cycle Timing" by Kevin Horton.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:04 pm 

So just to help clarify. The gpu switches modes and then while doing its own stuff, the CPU functions normally except for some limited read and write capabilities? Also for the point of emulators, should I execute the 2 GPU cycles and then a CPU cycle or vice-versa?