It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 pm 

WedNESday wrote:
Why is it illegal to be able to rent games in Japan?

I guess some company with deep pockets were able to lobby for such law to be implemented (...). You can't rent game but can rent cd, go figure :roll:

For the time being, I couldn't "find" my Japanese version of Sunset rider so I found another way to try it. I didn't remember that there was only 3 credits by default so it's already seems hard just with that! Axelay, I now official suck, cannot play :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:38 pm 

If I remember correctly(or, I'm just making this all up), for video soft in Japan, rental shop can only lend out specific "rental" versions of them (possibly costing a larger licensing fee than just buying a disc of the retail version), and it maybe (I'm not sure) illegal for them to lend out the retail versions for profit. I think those rental versions are "not for resale" too, so that a customer cannot just buy them(they must buy the retail version), not even after a shop closes its doors and offers its assets for sale.

Video games are probably in the same situation, though rental versions of them rarely (never?) exist so basically renting games is illegal.

This is understandable. If every one only rent games and never buy them it will hurt the publishers' profit, especially those games that are short and don't have much replay value (or, those that suck). I remember reading that US version of console games were also made harder, so that people may take longer to complete them to discourage video game rental services (especially RPGs, especially those localised by Working Designs).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:07 am 

Banshaku wrote:
As for Sunset, it was not so bad on the Genesis, I liked it.

I only have the arcade version, but what I hear from fans of the game is that the MegaDrive port is generally considered better than the SNES one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:56 am 

I may have never really played much the snes version then. I remember renting the genesis one often but not snes.

I guess nobody got the joke above but that's ok! (this means it was sneaky enough :lol:)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:44 pm 

Banshaku wrote:
I guess nobody got the joke above but that's ok! (this means it was sneaky enough :lol:)

What joke? Obviously it was so good we all missed it. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:36 pm 

The day I find my "Japanese" version of sunset rider, I will be more than happy to send it to you for free :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:21 am 

Banshaku wrote:
The day I find my "Japanese" version of sunset rider, I will be more than happy to send it to you for free :D

Oh, that...

Actually I saw it straight away. :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:25 am 

Well that's bad: we are officially nerds :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:04 pm 

Banshaku wrote:

Really? Boxed and in mint condition too? That'd be real swell of you, mister.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:40 pm 

Yeah, I'm a nice guy. The problem is, I can't find it :lol: I should ask Konami if they have any left.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:54 am 

Sumez wrote:
I only have the arcade version, but what I hear from fans of the game is that the MegaDrive port is generally considered better than the SNES one.

I think both versions are fun.
The MegaDrive port has slightly better graphics and a nice sound track, but it misses that "hit" (the strong "tam-tam") on the sound.
Also it's a completelly different game. The SNES version is more like the Arcade. It has some parts missing, like the machine gun part, but has the same stages and bosses from the Arcade version.
It has some censorship with the hookers and bottle of drinks wich if I remember correctly, wich are present on the MegaDrive version.

The MegaDrive version, if memory serves me well, has only 4 bosses and 2 playable characters to choose from (Billy and Cormano), and is also missing other things, like the opening animation and the bosses "voices".
It's a different game, wich you have to save the ladies at the end of the stage when it's not the time to meet the boss. These ladies appear on the bonus round thowing itens for you from a wain.
It also has a versus mode, wich I played very little.
It's not a bad game at all. In fact, I think that version is pretty impressive for a 4mb game compared with the 8mb of the SNES version.

If I had to choose one, I would be very reluctant, because I like both.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:45 am 

Banshaku wrote:

I still don't get it. :|

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:03 am 

According to Sega Retro, this game was never relased in japan. :-)
Sorry to break the joke.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:04 pm 

I'm well aware of that, but I wasn't seeing anyone talk about a Japanese version in the first place?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 am 

Yeah, at first I just said I was looking for the game to imply I was going to not use the rom (just continuing the joke of WedNESday). Since I live in Japan and bought only games here, I said I couldn't find the "Japanese" version, putting emphasis on purpose. I wasn't aware until recently too that it didn't exist in Japan for the snes, maybe it does for Genesis.

This is why I won't quit my day job to be a comedian :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next