It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:12 am 

There already exists a GB ROM for creating sfx, but I forget its name. Should be fast to find if you go through the GB dev tool lists.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:39 am 

Sometimes it takes a month. After checking various inspirations, I've changed the landing and rolling sounds in the next version. Rolling is lower and quieter, and landing is based on the "not match" sound from Concentration Room.

To generate concepts for the title screen and especially the ending, it might prove helpful to understand what's past the exit of the last room. That might depend on who built the floor and why. I'd hope it isn't as dark as James Dashner's The Maze Runner books or Vincenzo Natali's Cube films, both of which involve mind-wipes and a prequel that spoils explains everything.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:46 pm 

Continued notes to self about worldbuilding:

A boulder person has three gaits: rolling, scooting, or jumping. Scooting is seen in some of my other works but not here. Rolling is more energy efficient than scooting or jumping everywhere, and she can carry things in her hands while rolling, though (at least in cut scenes) she would have to stop and untuck her head to see where she's going.

As for the "why is the floor?" question, I'd like draw a parallel to Spencer Johnson's Who Moved My Cheese? and its fan sequels, particularly Mason Brown's Who Cut the Cheese? and Deepak Malhotra's I Moved Your Cheese. These novellas take place in a maze inhabited by laboratory rodents and Lilliputians. After reading them, I hypothesized that the maze is an offshoot of Rat Park, a late 1970s experiment at Simon Fraser University concluding that rats given enough room to live and a sufficiently interesting environment will have less tendency to use drugs recreationally. That answered "why is the maze?" to my satisfaction. I wish I could see how to extend them to "why is the floor?" in this case.

I'm also trying to leave open the option of a later world reminiscent of Hipster Whale's Crossy Road or Konami's Frogger, or possibly even an overhead adventure reminiscent of Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda or Square Enix's Secret of Mana. But the exact nature of the challenges Libbet is likely to encounter in this world still depends on "why is the floor?".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:49 pm 

Libbet and the Magic Floor v0.03

This is a small release, as progress past the fifth floor is still behind writer's block.

Highlights:

• Rolling and landing sound better fit the material
  • Reduce clicking when sound channel turns off
  • Show squash cel when landing (first of 12 principles of animation)
  • Make hands clearer in push-off cel
  • Dead code removal and other size optimizations
  • Rules research: Confirm that 100+ score for 8x6 is highly unlikely
  • Comparative testing: Add patch to make GBA version work on GBA Movie Player
  • 8611 bytes used

ROM and source zipfile is attached, or view the release on GitHub

Attachments:
libbet-0.03.zip [71.12 KiB]
Downloaded 3 times

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:44 pm 

tepples wrote:
That might depend on who built the floor and why.

I had always thought that it was just there for fun & bemusement. I hope it won't turn into a deadly trap or something!