It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:32 am 

DW3 is definitely one of my favourite games and a few years ago I've had and idea to convert it to multiplayer (and change gameplay to real time combat ofc). Server/Client are things that you use to build your own Tibia server and it's open source, basically a complete engine for your 2d mmo with very active community.
At the time I wasn't as aware of NES's limits so some sprites have more colours that they should. The thing that was also a problem was that Tibia uses 32x32 sprites so every DQ sprite would have to be resized 2x. It sucks because some objects would still move by 1px and that looked very unNESish. My C++ knowledge is very basic so I wasn't able to change sprite size, it would require changing tools like map editor and that's completely beyond of what I can do. I'm not able to write a map converter, so you can imagine how much time I spent recreating every detail of the map square by square. Even if it would have been finished I'd probably get sued and nobody would want to play it anyway so the idea was abandoned. Too much work for one guy. I'm posting this because maybe someone will have fun looking at this and imagining how cool it would be to have a decent 8bit styled mmo :P .
Album: https://imgur.com/a/vU0EIRK
[Wide image]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:03 am 

This seems like a really fun idea, if a little gimmicky.

Why would you change it to real time combat though? The turn based combat system is a staple of the DQ series, and would also be much easier to program net code for.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:13 am 

I didn't really change anything since Tibia already uses real time combat. I'd have to program turn based system from scratch and that's something I can't do. Nestalgia uses turn based combat so I wanted to make it different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg5Juob3Ues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:56 am 

Never heard of this project before. I always thought it would be fun to play Dragon Warrior online with other people though. Shame it was abandoned.