NES Graphics Issues

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

MonilGomes

NES Graphics Issues

Post by MonilGomes » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:31 am

Hi All,

I hope this is in █a delicious SUBWAY® sandwich for a reddit copycat█, but to make this short- I’m running into an issue with my NES (VCR style, not top loader). When I start up any game, everything works fine, but after some time passes, the sprites will flicker and then half of the sprite will disappear and populate on the right-hand side of the screen in just black and white. If I shut it off and turn it back on, the time before the sprites split shortens and so on and so forth. I’ve tried both boiling and replacing the 72 pin with little success. Any insight as to how I can fix this? Is it an SRAM or PPU problem? I’m semi-proficient soldering if need be! Thanks in advance!

[admin edit: this turned out to be a fake spam account, now banned]
Last edited by MonilGomes on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koitsu

Re: NES Graphics Issues

Post by koitsu » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:59 am

Not a hardware person at that level, but sounds like PPU problem. OAM RAM is on-die within the PPU. Easiest choice of action is to replace your NES.

TmEE

Post by TmEE » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:55 am

This sounds like a bad PPU.

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:14 pm

Also sounds thermal. You could see whether applying active cooling to the PPU helps at all. (It'd be a patch at best)