Fake Dendy prototype Game Grumps prank?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Fake Dendy prototype Game Grumps prank?

Post by rainwarrior » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:58 pm

Saw this video, and thought it might be fun to discuss here. Posting in General cause it's obviously fake, but I'm kinda curious where they're going with it. Or maybe mission already accomplished cause I'm sure a lot of people will watch this either way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5ATX7YKLI

Punch

Re: Fake Dendy prototype Game Grumps prank?

Post by Punch » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:06 pm

rainwarrior wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:58 pm
Saw this video, and thought it might be fun to discuss here. Posting in General cause it's obviously fake, but I'm kinda curious where they're going with it. Or maybe mission already accomplished cause I'm sure a lot of people will watch this either way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5ATX7YKLI
You should have omitted knowledge of it being fake to see pages of people in this thread stumbling at each other to say the obvious. That's a wasted opportunity. :lol:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:19 pm

Apparently it's an ad for an upcoming game called "Soviet Jump Game".
https://twitter.com/thomglunt/status/12 ... 3063611392

Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:10 pm

I swear that watching Game Grumps is one sure way to lower your IQ.

Game Grumps seemed to be implying that they had found a prototype of an Internet-enabled game that was canceled for the Dendy back in the late-90s where a DendyJr console connected to a never-released Internet adapter. Of course that sounded way-too-ambitious for the people behind Dendy.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:17 pm

Not even 90s, they actually claim 1987 in the video.

I kinda watched with interest until about 4 minutes in where he opens up his Dendy and pulls out that dangling serial port and was just... :roll:

It goes downhill from there.

Before that point the premise seemed plausible to me. Game Grumps get sent lots of stuff. Something unique ending up in their hands made sense to me, but...

MaarioS

Post by MaarioS » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:30 am

How do you think this is fake?? This serial port inside sure looks suspicious, however I wouldnt evaluate the whole thing as fake right away because you think so. New things pop up constantly

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:24 am

Well, for starters just take a look at the game footage and count the tiles. The pixel resolution is clearly both wider and taller than 256 x 240. I don't think I should have to say much more than that, but there's a hundred other impossible things about it I could point out. I'm not just picking at one minor nit, this is a fake thing and absolutely every detail here will fail under scrutiny.

This is not a case where they didn't reveal much and we have to speculate. They've revealed more than enough here to know what it is(n't) already.

The game itself is real, it's just not for Dendy, and not from 1987. It's a Free-to-Play game for Steam in 2020.

MaarioS

Post by MaarioS » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:27 pm

I think the reason why so many people bought this idea as "real thing" is probably because they showed that Dendy ethernet cartridge in earlier episodes several times and I've actually seen it. Hey, does anyone have any dump of that thing or is it fake as well?? If this is fake then at least they programmed that cartridge in some way. I mean that glitchy "real game" itself just LOOKS real on the surface and you would assume this is on the real NES hardware. However that RS232 serial port inside Dendy sure is one big bogus crap. How did that even get there in the first place and how come no other person has ever heard of it before?? In short if this is fake then they really spent so much time on it and really tried to push that bogus crap to people but of course everything is possible. Other than that, it's just an asshole stunt they don't even admit doing, even if they could

HOWEVER, even if it's coming for PC for Steam then... what's the point?? How will they even get around with it?

Punch

Post by Punch » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:07 pm

You're overthinking this. It's an ad for an "8-bit (NES) inspired" PC game and you're asking if this unique, improbable piece of hardware + software that the ad relies on is real.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

MaarioS

Post by MaarioS » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:23 pm

No. I'm not overthinking this and I don't need any philosophical/spiritual advice. This sort of advertising is just (only) downright misleading and they ruined their reputation on top of that

Pokun

Post by Pokun » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:51 pm

"All publicity is good publicity" they say. I also think it's stupid but I guess it's effective for sales. Getting people to talk about it is a good way to spread it.
MaarioS wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:27 pm
Hey, does anyone have any dump of that thing or is it fake as well?? If this is fake then at least they programmed that cartridge in some way. I mean that glitchy "real game" itself just LOOKS real on the surface and you would assume this is on the real NES hardware.
Rockman 9 and 10 also looks like they are on NES hardware but they aren't. It's not really hard to make NES-like graphics. Even if they did make a real NES version of the game, no one would have the ROM unless they released it in some way. But it sounds like there isn't one.
the reason why so many people bought this idea as "real thing"
I didn't watch the video, but probably most people don't know that the NES resolution is always 256x240 pixels and wouldn't bother counting. If someone says something and you have no reason to believe he is lying, people tend to believe him.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:05 pm

When I said "obvious" I meant that it was obvious to me. Definitely not trying to imply that it should be obvious to everyone, so I hope nobody took it that way... however if you take just about any part of what they showed or said about the game and verify it against the technical reality or historical context, it will fall apart.

No, there's no ROM. There was never a ROM. The thing shown in the video wasn't running from the Dendy console. It's all just props. The game footage shown is just footage of the PC game cropped to 4:3 and haphazardly recoloured. They didn't even bother to offer sound.

I only mentioned pixel count because it seemed like a detail that anyone on these forums could quickly understand and verify as an impossibility. I'm not saying anybody should have noticed it, I'm just offering it as something you can easily pause the video on and check for yourself.

There's plenty more where that came from but it's kinda beating a dead horse when you already know it's fake.