Bricked Two of my Attiny13a's

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

scythe&gengames

Bricked Two of my Attiny13a's

Post by scythe&gengames » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:25 am

while I tried this config it totally bricked my Attiny13a now I don't have anything to fix them....now I have to get new ones from mouser so I can have a mini stock of them with the AVRCIC, I just went with the default fuses and now it's all flashed onto the attiny13a

anyone tried the following fuses below and bricked their attiny13a chips? Once I have more I will NOT do it again and just use the default fuses to program my AVRCICs
Attachments
avrciczz_proper.jpg

Ice Man

Re: Bricked Two of my Attiny13a's

Post by Ice Man » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:54 am

I just can't recommend programming ATTINYs with the GQ-4X4 at all.

You can unbrick them with the TL866 or TL866II Plus (which I recommend) or any other High Voltage programmer/tool though.

Have you tried this site?
https://connect.gocollect.com/discussio ... with-gq-4x

Hojo_Norem

Post by Hojo_Norem » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:22 am

A quick look at the datasheet for the tiny13A tells me that having CKSEL0 and CKSEL1 both set to 0 (as in ticked, according to your screenshot) switches the chip's clock source to external. Without a clock source input on SCK (pin 7), the chip will appear to be bricked.

This can be fixed without using high-voltage programming. All you need is a cheap 4 pin oscillator (those square/rectangular metal cans on some PCBs, about 1cm square) rated anywhere below 20Mhz. Connect the output of the oscillator to SCK and it's GND and VCC to the same on the chip and re-try programming. Make sure to turn those fuse bits off again.
Insert witty sig. here...

Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:27 pm

Yeah, it's the clock going away. Kinda dumb, I don't think this kind of thing is a problem with PICs (they get clocked by the programmer). Adding an oscillator like Hojo_Norem said will fix it, and that's exactly what I did. I program it through the cart edge, but not all the signals fit. I believe it was the reset signal that I run through an unused expansion port pin. I just plug a Pocket AVR programmer into this.
Attachments
IMG_20190622_043518_reduced.jpg

aquasnake

Post by aquasnake » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:13 am

if you use rst and clk pins as gpio(s), will lock the chip after programming.

unlock this programmed chip should take some money to buy a particular board, it has an external crystal