Advice for tracks tolerance of Router SNES PCB

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
Kayumba

Advice for tracks tolerance of Router SNES PCB

Post by Kayumba » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:30 am

Hello to guys & grils and to all community,

I would like to ask you some advice about creating SNES custom/repro PCB.
I'am looking for to avoid my future errors when I making "Router" of all tracks.

I'am using EasyEDA tool to design my PCB.
Always not sure about what width of tracks (thickness) that I have to do. :?: :?: :?:
What clearance to respect end so on...

I always trying keep about 1mm for all GND and VCC (5v)
But about other tracks i'am not sure and dont really know what is the tolerance that I have to respect and for what component.
So I reduce, reduce... my tracks width to till get my Router worked :lol: .
I'am sure that is not very good to do :lol: .

If you can give me some advice, please, of max/min tolerance to keep absolutely for some special tracks or components.

PS: Hope that my English is enough clear to make you understood of what I want to tell :roll:
Thanks

Markfrizb

Re: Advice for tracks tolerance of Router SNES PCB

Post by Markfrizb » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:13 pm

I wish someone would have laid out a perfect design when I was learning about all this....but then, I wouldn't have learned as much. My best mistakes were the ones I learned the most from. Contact your pcb shop and ask them what they recommend, or what their machines are capable of without extra costs. Or is this the next question coming of where to get it manufactured? 6/6 8/8 are typical

Kayumba

Post by Kayumba » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:34 am

Markfrizb wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:13 pm
I wish someone would have laid out a perfect design when I was learning about all this....but then, I wouldn't have learned as much. My best mistakes were the ones I learned the most from. Contact your pcb shop and ask them what they recommend, or what their machines are capable of without extra costs. Or is this the next question coming of where to get it manufactured? 6/6 8/8 are typical
Thanks for answer.
I know all manufacture recommend tolerance.
I was talking about tolerance of width to respect for components on circuit of SNES, for example :

NPN Transistor (2N2222) and resistor : min 0.05mm <-> 0.1mm
Between Battery C2032 and Diode : min 0.05mm <-> 0.1mm

and track for all other connexions :

A0-A15: Address pins (offset) = ?
BA0-BA7: Address pins (bank) = ?
D0-D7: Data pins = ?
The Cartridge Connector = ?

krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:42 am

Eagle with default settigs of min track width = min track distance = 10 mils seem to be good compromise (those settings also are good for home prototyping).
Although I rarely use 10 mils (only if I have to route tracks to dense packages, like TSOP or QFP). Normally I use 12 mils for signals and 20 or even 32 mils for power lines.

12 mils is good because when you set default 0.25 grid, you can route those track with allignment to grid.

Kayumba

Post by Kayumba » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:00 am

krzysiobal wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:42 am
Eagle with default settigs of min track width = min track distance = 10 mils seem to be good compromise (those settings also are good for home prototyping).
Although I rarely use 10 mils (only if I have to route tracks to dense packages, like TSOP or QFP). Normally I use 12 mils for signals and 20 or even 32 mils for power lines.

12 mils is good because when you set default 0.25 grid, you can route those track with allignment to grid.
:wink:
Thanks.

Autorouter work bad...
Already 3 days that I trying to do it, moving components to the left - right - up - down ... just to find better position for Router get success :cry:

Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:29 pm

Kayumba wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:00 am
Autorouter work bad...
Already 3 days that I trying to do it, moving components to the left - right - up - down ... just to find better position for Router get success :cry:
Yeah, autorouters tend to do a terrible job. If you must use one, I'd recommend trying this one called Freerouting. It's an external program, but can be used with some CAD software. It's actually really impressive. https://freerouting.org/