It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Neoflash n64 carts out
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:54 pm 

It was out the 30th of last month but I have not been checkin on it.
They claim perfect compatibility with everything. sept probably 64DD games
Quote:
the NEO N64 Myth cart SPEC v2:

* Support the N64 rom size up to 512M
* Support all save type perfectly included the flash save, not need the same save type N64 game cart to work together
* Support 100% N64 games perfectly
* Download games from PC to NEO2 cart directly via USB port
* Upload/overwrite game save to PC via USB directly
* Multi-CIC support, can use any N64 cart to boot Neo Myth on N64 console
* Support Multi games, can download 2 games at the same time and swap the game via switch
* Can select the N64 menu run from Neo2 game cart or N64 inner menu flash (under developing still)
* Upgradeable! Support upgrade the N64 Myth cart CPLD logic core through the NDP upgrade kit

Last edited by peppers on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:45 pm 

peppers wrote:
They claim perfect compatibility with everything.

it's not compatibly with everything, it has at least problem with loading one game (don't remember which one though)... looks like the transfere speed is a bit slow too :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:18 pm 

After seeing this I would not be surprised if they made a mp3 player it would use those GBA carts for storage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:15 pm 

The Aladdin Deck Enhancer lives!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:10 am 

yeah its pretty lame that in order to use it the way I would want to, (with micro-schc) I would have to buy an overpriced neo2 to go along with it. That the main thing keeping me form considering it, that and $200 is too expencive to the N64 cart alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:33 am 

peppers wrote:
yeah its pretty lame that in order to use it the way I would want to, (with micro-schc) I would have to buy an overpriced neo2 to go along with it. That the main thing keeping me form considering it, that and $200 is too expencive to the N64 cart alone.

I want one as well but needing a GBA cart to use it is ridiculous(that and I don't really trust NeoFlash). They mustn't have sold very many of their newer GBA carts and instead of binning them they are trying to make a quick buck. Hopefully one day bunnyboy makes a PowerPak for the 64.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:45 am 

I asked but he did not give a responce, its dose come with a 512mbit GBA flash cart though so u can play everything with just the cart, buts is slower and obviously u can't put as much on it at once.

I also don't trust NEO flash I have had bad experiences with them in the past, and when I did when I asked bout it in there forum all I got was insulted. I do always advise staying away from neoflash products as they are overpriced and tend to be of poor quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:48 am 

peppers wrote:
I asked but he did not give a responce, its dose come with a 512mbit GBA flash cart though so u can play everything with just the cart, buts is slower and obviously u can't put as much on it at once.

I also don't trust NEO flash I have had bad experiences with them in the past, and when I did when I asked bout it in there forum all I got was insulted. I do always advise staying away from neoflash products as they are overpriced and tend to be of poor quality.

Even one of the mods(at the NeoFlash forums) commented on how Dr NEO refused to tell people why put a GBA cart in N64 flashcard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:52 am 

I asked neoflash bout the gba cart thing too, but what I meant was I asked BB bout the possibility of a N64 cart but he just ignored me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:54 am 

peppers wrote:
I asked neoflash bout the gba cart thing too, but what I meant was I asked BB bout the possibility of a N64 cart but he just ignored me.

Didn't read your post correctly, sorry. I wouldn't bug him about it, the NES and SNES PowerPaks seem to drain alot of his money so he might be a bit wary about a 64 one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:32 am 

My biggest complaint about Neoflash is that they announce all kinds of projects that then end up as vaporware (where's their NES cart for example?).

I'll have to disagree with the people who say that Neoflash make poor products that should be avoided, though. I own the MD Myth cart and the Power PC-E flash cart, and they both work great. And on the software side you get a lot of free support, since they open-source a lot of the software and other people step up and add new features (just look at the MD Myth, and the same thing is now happening with the N64 cart).

And the price isn't really that high compared to other backup devices for the N64 (if you can find one). Personally I doubt I'll buy one since there are very few N64 games that I consider worth playing, so the only reason for me to buy one would be to run my own code on the N64 and I don't really have any projects that I'd like to do on the N64 right now.

I do hope that they continue to create backup devices for more consoles, though. It's a real niche market, and they're one of the few to do this on a relatively large scale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:57 am 

danntor wrote:
Even one of the mods(at the NeoFlash forums) commented on how Dr NEO refused to tell people why put a GBA cart in N64 flashcard.

GBA is the only common consumer form factor for NOR memory. Everything else (CF, SD, Memory Stick) is a block device using NAND memory and would require megabytes of PSRAM to buffer the data, just like in the SNES PowerPak. I wonder how much hacking it would take to use the cheaper $20 "EZFlash 3-in-1" GBA cart instead of NeoFlash's overpriced GBA cart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:30 pm 

there would b less point in using the 3 in 1 since you would have to use its flash and that's almost the same as the cart it comes with. It has RAM for fast loading of GBA games from a NDS flashcart so it may be ok for development if it could be used in a way that would allow it to always be connected to a computer

Hacking it to use one of the other reasonably priced RAM adapter carts rather than the way overpriced NEO2 would be what I would want so I could use a memory card.

As for the quality of NEO flashes products yes some of them are ok but there is a hell of a lot of crap in the mix too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:42 pm 

It would be tricky (particularly saving) but it's almost certainly possible to emulate a N64 cart without buffering to a discrete RAM/NOR flash at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:12 pm 

kyuusaku wrote:
It would be tricky (particularly saving) but it's almost certainly possible to emulate a N64 cart without buffering to a discrete RAM/NOR flash at all.

Sort of like this project. http://64dev.retroactive.be/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52

I really hope someone brings a product like that to market as it really makes alot more sense and the method works so well with the Nintendo DS.