Help discovering NOAC pinout!

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

socram8888

Help discovering NOAC pinout!

Post by socram8888 »

I bought two weeks ago for 13€ (~15,79$) a portable videogame console with built-in LCD screen and 100 games (yes, 100 real games and not 2 copyed 50 times)

In fact, I bought it because I knew it was NOAC-based :roll:

Inside of this "Lexibook JL-2000" (wich is in fact a rebranded Classic Max Lite MX-09) there is 4 ICs:
IC1: glob-top CPU+PPU NOAC
IC2: glob-top memory mounted on a childboard, with the following text written in a sticker:

Code: Select all

31E8128 (128MB * 8?)
20100304 (manufacturing date?)
IC3: "CAT 2822" (audio amplifier?)
IC4: voltage regulator

I know it's a NOAC because it has hacked (and buggy) NES games inside, it uses the same xtal as a real NES (21.4427 MHz), and has got the same flickering when there are more than 8 sprites in a line

Inside of it, there are many undumped games (pirate games, not hacks) that I want to dump, but the problem is that I don't know the IC2 pinout. Anyone?

There are many photos taken from a spanish forum:
MyoCid wrote:Pues ya tengo la makinita XD

La cosa a sido flipante, he sido el primero en llegar a donde estaban las consolas y mas o menos habría una 20 unidades. En seguida me he apoderado de 4 y he llamado a dos colegas por si las kerian y al final me he kedado yo 2 y las otras 2 para los colegas.
Cuando estaba hablando por el móvil miro hacia el lugar de las consolas y me veo una china cogiendo unas 8 consolas y voy para charfardear y ya solo kedaban 2 k al final una chica se ha llevado y todo esto en menos de 5 minutos.

Os pongo fotitos:

Lo bueno: La pantalla me ha sorprendido, se ve de muerte, muy nitida y buen angulo de vision.
Los juegos, por los k he probado son versiones de originales y muy chulos, adictivos
como tienen k ser, los de naves son la caña :D

Lo malo: La cruceta y los botones, son cutres la verdad, aunke cuando llevas un rato le coges el
punto.
El sonido no es k sea malo, pero se nota k es mono, kizas porke estoy acostumbrado a la
DS y lo noto mas, se escucha bien pero una entrada para auriculares hubiera sido lo mejor.

EDITO: Mobutu16 llevas razon, pero en multiplataformas cuantos de este foro nos hubieras enterado?? yo al menos no y creo k en este foro se aprecian estas consolas :)
Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
hyarion

Post by hyarion »

it's probably a 128Mbit rom (16MByte) which contains both the PRG and CHR mem (called one bus mode on http://wiki.playpower.org/f/VT02+Data+S ... ENG__1.pdf, not sure if uses that chip though)

i would check if the pinout matches the VT02 (or any other known clone) and then trace the wires to the rom. it's probably follows some kind of standard rom pin layout though
socram8888

Post by socram8888 »

How can I trace connections to a glob-top chip?

I tought about using a diode to check the signal direction (to see if it's data or address/control)

Any other idea?
hyarion

Post by hyarion »

how about doing it optically?

start with ground, then check which traces goes to the display and so on

check against known pinouts to see if it goes in under the glob in the same order. the signals will most likely be connected to the die in the same order as it goes in under the glob, and if not you will probably see a via on the bottom side
socram8888

Post by socram8888 »

Yes, but I can't compare it to anything, since this is not a VT02. VT02 does not have LCD display controller

The memory has 44 pin, so I think it's a 16 bit memory with 24 address, two control (/CE and /OE) and VCC+GND

16+24+2+2 = 44 pin
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

A lot of these types of memory chips have the same pinout, and for an 8-bit memory (which I imagine this one is) it just won't connect to the upper data lines (and in the chip, there might not be anything connected internally to those pins). I looked on digikey and it looks like 44-pin TSOP-II package does go up to 128Mbit x 8.

One way to trace out the glob-top would be to use a sharp knife to remove small bits of the soldermask on the traces. Then you could use that as a test point with a multimeter.