New game - Driar

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

jayminer

New game - Driar

Post by jayminer »

ImageImageImage

Our game is finally ready for a release. You can find the download link here.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I had the chance to try it a little bit. I'm not into puzzle type game but it is always good to see finished game so good job on achieving your goal ;)
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

It is not a puzzle game, it is 'collect all items'.

Nice graphics and well done overall. I don't really like how stars are collected, though - they are disappear too sudden and with strange sound. Also, jumping over the deadly blocks is really tough.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

It uses unofficial opcodes $B3 and $CB. Plus, there's an $01 at offset $9 of the iNES header.

Works with Nintendulator (prints unofficial opcodes) and Nestopia (switches to PAL mode). Doesn't work on RockNES due to the unofficial opcodes.
Kojote

Post by Kojote »

I like it :) I love the graphics, nice, simple, great - they reflect oldschool :) The music is wonderful, the game is superb. This is a very excellent productions :) Will write an e-mail to the authors later.
Kojote
http://www.pdroms.de - Homebrew news for consoles & handelds
http://www.retroguru.com - Retroguru Game Development
http://www.speckdrumm.org - Speckdrumm - Austrian Demogroup
http://www.retromagazine.eu - Retro - German Retrogaming Print-Magazine
thefox

Post by thefox »

Played it for a little while, nice and polished game! Also congratulations on finishing your first game, and thanks for using MUSE! :)

A small suggestion: I noticed that when the player dies the music keeps on going through the black screen that shows the lives which felt "strange" to me since most games pause the music there, you could set the music volume to lower level on that screen to change the mood a little bit (cooler than pausing it, IMO :))
Zepper wrote:It uses unofficial opcodes $B3 and $CB. Plus, there's an $01 at offset $9 of the iNES header.

Works with Nintendulator (prints unofficial opcodes) and Nestopia (switches to PAL mode). Doesn't work on RockNES due to the unofficial opcodes.
Yeah, now that you said it I think I slipped a couple unofficial ops into MUSE. No harm done there. I think the $01 at offset 9 is to mark a PAL ROM, even though not all emulators recognize it.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Pretty nice! You know what I really miss? A sound effect when stars are collected. I feel like I need some sort of feedback from the game.
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

There is a sound effect when stars are collected. It's a very low volume "bup" but it's there.
Last edited by Kasumi on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Oh yeah... I guess I was expecting something more high pitched, which is more typical for this kind of item.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

thefox wrote:Yeah, now that you said it I think I slipped a couple unofficial ops into MUSE. No harm done there. I think the $01 at offset 9 is to mark a PAL ROM, even though not all emulators recognize it.
Was it tested in a Powerpak or NES?
tepples

Post by tepples »

I just played through level 14 or so on my PowerPak. Interesting.

From the manual:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/
It looks like you don't want people selling reproduction cartridges of this.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

I asked because of the unofficial opcodes... unless, of course, the Powerpak supports them. I don't know much about those ones, but I suppose this game would work in the NES..?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Zepper wrote:I asked because of the unofficial opcodes... unless, of course, the Powerpak supports them.
The PowerPak doesn't have to do anything to support them... programs still run entirely on the NES CPU, so of course unofficial opcodes work.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

I really like how the controls are different than anything I've played before. Once I actually started to use the B button to speed up I found that you could actually use it while you were already in the air. If I'm not mistaken, it appears that you can turn "turbo" speed on and off whist in the air. Frustrating and difficult to master but a neat physics approach IMO. Is there any other game out there that does this?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Blues bros
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!