Need Help Converting A Nerdy Nights Tutorial to ASM6

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

tokumaru

Re: Need Help Converting A Nerdy Nights Tutorial to ASM6

Post by tokumaru » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:54 am

mikaelmoizt wrote:So, that greatly simplifies things for me. The readme says db though. :!:
db works too, but it's really weird, since the parameter/number you give it doesn't go anywhere (you can't put values in RAM at compile time), and you can't have multi-byte variables without giving db more meaningless parameters (an 8 byte password would be db 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 instead of the more readable dsb 8), so I don't know why the hell anyone would suggest db over dsb for defining variables.

Pokun

Post by Pokun » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:41 pm

I'm sure Loopy just used db as an example in the readme when defining variables with enum, just to not overcomplicate the explanation, since db is a very simple general byte defining directive. It's arguably more confusing though since you don't really define a byte but an address, and dsb is much more appropriate in this case as Tokumaru says (since it's made for defining storage).

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:59 pm

It's comin' along, That_Nintendo_Guy! Replacement battery seems good, need to let it charge + discharge + recharge, but so far so good. The added capacity (3 cells) is interesting: it adds some height to the laptop, so it basically now has a built-in "stand" in the back. Neat. After this is disk testing + OS install + shipping it off to you (and it'll include a full XP reinstall CD in case you ever need to, and Dell's diagnostic CD). I might also disable HyperThreading in the BIOS, because XP doesn't have very good support for delineation of logical core vs. physical core (even on things like Core i7 CPUs, XP will "stutter" sometimes with HT enabled, most commonly seen in high-CPU-usage apps, e.g. games, emulators, etc., and Atom CPUs aren't exactly powerhouses). Off-topic there, sorry.
Attachments
IMG_20150116_154003717.jpg

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:45 pm

And sadly the 160GB MHDD that comes with the thing has some bad LBAs ("unreadable sectors") on it, which means I need to get a replacement disk (thankfully the thing uses SATA). I have an 80GB SSD which I'll be sticking in it instead (virtually no seek time is a huge improvement, along with decreased temperatures), although I should probably try putting Windows 7 on it (for TRIM support) otherwise once a week you'd have to run Intel's SSD Optimizer utility to make sure portions of the FTL on the SSD get TRIM'd. I'll play around with stuff and let you know.

Damn older hardware going bad...

Edit: storage chipset used does not appear to support 4096-byte sector drives (e.g. SSDs and many present-day large-ish-capacity MHDDs) very well, even on Windows 7. The system periodically "stalls" for long amounts of time (10-15 full seconds) when doing I/O. I also saw this under Linux (what I use to test drives), and it's exacerbated by the fact that the chipset appears to lock itself to ATA100 when it supports up to ATA133 (maybe this is just what the SSD is doing); either way that doesn't work so well with SSDs (they commonly need native AHCI for proper speeds and usability). The chipset does not offer AHCI (there are no storage controller tweaks available in the BIOS -- which I did upgrade successfully BTW :-) ). So I'm going to buy a small MHDD for this thing (should be about $30 or so, not bad) and make sure in advance it uses native 512-byte sectors.

Also, I'm fairly sure I'm going to just stick with XP on it (listen here Tepples......), mainly because of the limited amount of RAM (it only has 1GB and I don't think it can be upgraded) and because the native Dell XP installation CD appears to have proper driver support for the weird screen resolution (1024x600 or 1024x576, still not sure which). To be clear, it's a Dell Inspiron Mini 10v (the "v" matters).

But hey, at least the battery works! :D

tepples

Post by tepples » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:49 pm

Everybody do the bump!

Do you still need this, or can koitsu repurpose the laptop for something else?