Super Nintendo palette?

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

DementedPurple

Super Nintendo palette?

Post by DementedPurple »

Is the Super Nintendo palette basically the same as the standard 256 color palette used on computers? I want to know so that I can port Sonic the Hedgehog to the SNES and have it not be too difficult to transfer the palettes.
pubby

Re: Super Nintendo palette?

Post by pubby »

Dude... Converting the palette is the least of your worries.

You're not capable of porting Sonic. You're not even close. Tokumaru is a damn good programmer and even he isn't capable of porting Sonic. Hell, even Sega hasn't figured out how to port Sonic.

Stop deluding yourself with all these project ideas. Pick something small (e.g. pong) and actually, for once, finish it. If you're not capable of finishing that, finish something smaller.

It's a waste of time otherwise.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

DementedPurple wrote:Is the Super Nintendo palette basically the same as the standard 256 color palette used on computers?
No. Not that there's a standard 256-color palette used by all computers to begin with. Anyway, AFAIK, The SNES has a 15-bit master palette (5 bits for each of R, G and B), while the Genesis has a 9-bit master palette (3 bits for each of R, G, B). The SNES also has way more sub palettes than the Genesis, so color wouldn't be a problem in such a conversion.
I want to know so that I can port Sonic the Hedgehog to the SNES
Feeling a little too ambitious there, aren't we? I'm sorry to say this, but you won't succeed with that as your first project. You need to be more realistic, and focused.
and have it not be too difficult to transfer the palettes.
Like pubby said, this is the least of your worries... Using the information that's currently available (disassemblies and such) you can write a program to convert all palettes in, like, 15 minutes. The real problem is understanding the engine itself, and porting it efficiently to the 65816. I believe the SNES can run Sonic just fine, but not a straight port of the 68000 code, so you will absolutely need to understand everything that's going on, as opposed to blindly translating instructions.

If there's one thing I regret doing when I was your age (over 20 years ago), it's not focusing on projects. I was easily distracted because there were a million things I wanted to do, so I constantly jumped from project to project, like you're doing now, without ever finishing anything. But then you grow up and have to go through college, work, marriage, kids, you'll find yourself with a fraction of the free time you had as a kid to work on projects, and you'll probably regret not making better use of the time you used to have.

Please do yourself a favor and pick ONE realistically doable project and stick to it. Groundbreaking ideas never attempted before are terrible first projects, because you really need experience to pull those kinds of things off. Pick something that'll help you gain that experience. The way I see it, if you have to ask "where do I even begin?" when considering working on an idea, you're not ready to do it. If you have to lower your expectations all the way down to "I can finish this tutorial", then so be it, at least you'll be making progress.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Jedi waves his hand..."you don't want to port Sonic".

"I don't want to port Sonic"

"You want to learn step by step how to make a simple game"

"I want to learn step by step how to make a simple game"
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
mantanz

Post by mantanz »

tokumaru wrote:
If there's one thing I regret doing when I was your age (over 20 years ago), it's not focusing on projects. I was easily distracted because there were a million things I wanted to do, so I constantly jumped from project to project, like you're doing now, without ever finishing anything. But then you grow up...
Sadly I still do that... and I'm 41. I have released a dozen games though so I guess that's SOMETHING. lol.

EDIT: Actually I should say completed a dozen. Some weren't worthy of release and others I wish I didn't!
lvl3

Post by lvl3 »

Sometimes the answer isn't porting the game... So much as it is getting a Sega Genesis, Sonic, and a Genesis to SNES controller adapter.

I bought this http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/sn ... /index.php and love it, for any Genesis game that doesn't use C and Z of course.