Mapper for Romstar Thunder and Lightning

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

rowejere

Mapper for Romstar Thunder and Lightning

Post by rowejere »

Hello,

Sorry if this is posted in the incorrect section (I'm a noob with NesDev).

I'm trying to use the Kazzo cartridge "INL Retro" Dumper-Programmer to dump an NES library and I have been successful with all games except one (Romstar Thunder and Lightning). According to the following list from "http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/nesmapper.txt" (which seems to be widely utilized), the game uses an MMC1 mapper. There is also a note indicating a bad dump. I suspect MMC1 is incorrect as the site "http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=942" lists GNROM mapper 66. I've tried this mapper as well and it still does not seem to dump properly. Since I'm a noob, I don't have enough mapper knowledge to make my own script yet. I'd be happy to learn, but I'm not quite sure where to start. I'm hoping someone here has some knowledge that may identify the issue.

Thanks!
lidnariq

Re: Mapper for Romstar Thunder and Lightning

Post by lidnariq »

It is very likely GNROM, given the entry in NesCartDB.

Does your cart look the same as the picture on NesCartDB?

If you're willing/able to open it, does that look the same as the pictures on NesCartDB? Especially, look for a piece of text somewhere on the PCB. In the picture on NesCartDB, "GNROM" is in the top center, right below "©1986 Nintendo".

Where did you get the GNROM script that you tried using?
rowejere

Post by rowejere »

Hi. The script came from the anago script database at https://github.com/arantius/anago-scripts. I have a picture of the opened up cart. It seems to match what is listed on that bootgod database. The script from anago is as follows:

/*
Written based on
http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/mappers-0.80.txt
*/

board <- {
mappernum = 66,
cpu_rom = {
size_base = 0x10000, size_max = 2 * mega, banksize = 0x8000
},
ppu_rom = {
size_base = 0x4000, size_max = 0x8000, banksize = 0x2000
},
cpu_romsize = 2 * mega, cpu_banksize = 0x8000,
ppu_romsize = 2 * mega, ppu_banksize = 0x2000,
ppu_ramfind = false, vram_mirrorfind = true
};

function cpu_dump(d, pagesize, banksize) {
for (local i = 0; i < pagesize; i += 1) {
cpu_write(d, 0x8000, i << 4);
cpu_read(d, 0x8000, 0x4000);
cpu_read(d, 0xc000, 0x4000);
}
}

function ppu_dump(d, pagesize, banksize) {
for (local i = 0; i < pagesize; i += 1) {
cpu_write(d, 0x8000, i);
ppu_read(d, 0, 0x2000);
}
}
Attachments
Thunder and Lightning Inside
Thunder and Lightning Inside
rowejere

Post by rowejere »

Attached is a picture from a better angle noting the mapper. Maybe something in the GNROM mapper from the anago database is incorrect.
Attachments
better angle of Thunder and Lightning
better angle of Thunder and Lightning
rowejere

Post by rowejere »

Also, when using the GNROM mapper from the anago database, the Kazzo creates a file that is only 49KB. I believe the correct size should be around 160KB.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

No, the GNROM script is basically right. Not clear why it's not working for you.

Does unagi give any messages when you're trying it?
rowejere

Post by rowejere »

Sorry, I'm not sure what "unagi" is. If it's the anago_wx software that kazzo uses, then it does not give any error messages. With that said, I have run into instances where no error message was given, but the dump was still not right. I was using an incorrect script in those cases and dumped the correct file size once the proper script was found. The Super Mario/Duck Hunt combo was one of the carts that I went through similar headaches even though no error message was showing up. But, I eventually got it to work by finding a script someone else put together just for that game. Not sure why this one doesn't dump the correct file size with the GNROM script. I'm pretty sure the contacts are clean enough and it's not a connection issue. I'm consistently getting the same file size with no error message.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

You say you end up with a 48 KB file. If you look at it (say, by loading it in an emulator, or by opening it with a hex editor, or by using a tool to split a .nes file into separate PRG and CHR), does it indicate 16 KiB PRG + 32 KiB CHR, or vice versa?

(In other words, does one half of the dumper script work correctly, or are both halves misbehaving?)

Theoretically, the GNROM dumper script shouldn't be capable of emitting a file smaller than 80 KiB—that's what size_base means here. (Don't look for less than 64 KiB of PRG or less than 16 KiB of CHR)

Alternatively, feel free to PM me your broken dump and I'll see what sense I can make of it.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

If you're using the exact script you posted above, I'm guessing you're running into bus conflicts - with most of the discrete mappers, the value you write to the mapper register must match the value present in ROM at that address, otherwise your written value will be ANDed with the value in ROM to get the actual bank. Specifically, you can't just write your bank value to $8000, but must instead search through $8000-$FFFF for a value compatible with what you're writing.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
rowejere

Post by rowejere »

Thanks for the feedback. I feel a little apprehensive about distributing the dump, but I did do a screen grab of what it looks like when using an emulator and what the top lines look like in a hex editor. I couldn’t do a screen grab of all the hex data for obvious reasons. If I know where to look for the PRG an CHR values, I can adjust the screen grab. I opened it up using HxD.
Also, I’m happy to tinker with some of the values if the script from GitHub is creating bus conflicts. Would there be different variations of a GNROM script depending on the game? Or, maybe the script on GitHub is simply incorrect for GNROM.
In any case, is there a reliable way to determine the proper value for the mapper register by examining the cart? Once this number is identified, which areas in the script would the “$8000 bank value” need to be changed? I noticed that the banksize appears to be listed in several areas (0x8000 and 0x2000 looks to be present throughout the script).
Attachments
screenshot.JPG
rowejere

Post by rowejere »

hex screenshot attached.
Attachments
hex partial screen
hex partial screen
rowejere

Post by rowejere »

Okay, I hope I'm on the right track - I did some digging through some old posts and discovered that the GNROM script posted on GitHub was changed so that it could work with Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt in 2016. However, Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt uses MHROM according to http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=10. Does that make a difference if they are both mapper 66?

Thread that resulted in changing the GNROM Script: https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=330
Current GNROM Script on GitHub: https://github.com/BlinksTale/anago-scr ... /_gnrom.ad

In any case, is it possible to locate the older version of the GNROM script before it was changed by BlinksTale in 2016? I'd like to test that version to see if it will work with Romstar Thunder and Lightning. A screenshot of the post that described changing mapper 66 is attached.
Attachments
mapper 66 change.PNG
tepples

Post by tepples »

MHROM is a subset of GNROM that supports only 64 KiB PRG ROM and 16 KiB CHR ROM. The difference between MHROM and GNROM is analogous to that between NROM-128 and NROM-256, or SBROM and SFROM.

If one GNROM script works but another doesn't, they may be handling bus conflicts differently.
rowejere

Post by rowejere »

Thanks- that may explain the script issues that Romstar Thunder and Lightning is having. Do you (or does anyone else) know how to access the GNROM mapper on GitHub before the change occurred in 2016 to accommodate an MHROM game? I'm still learning how to navigate through GitHub. I'm hoping the older version is not lost.

Alternatively, maybe someone knows where to obtain a GNROM script from a source other than that GitHub page (or, as a last resort- tweak the GitHub script to accommodate GNROM rather than MHROM).
tepples

Post by tepples »

On the page for any file in a GitHub repository, you can click "History" to see previous versions. The version prior to 2016 is this version.