Guidance for creating a pong game (New here)

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: Guidance for creating a pong game (New here)

Post by FrankenGraphics »

is it like functions in normal programming?
No, functions are all done in assembly. You pass arguments to functions through the axy registers, sometimes some flags, and temp memory allocations in the zero page, and call them with jsr and jmp.
.segment seems to be something I haven't although reading about it I think it jumps to other parts of the rom?
Sort of... we need to talk about what jumps to different parts (segments) of the rom. I think you're aware of the normal program counter, ie, the cpu register keeping score of where in the program we are during runtime. This is not what jumps.

There is also a second concept of "program counter", somewhat confusingly. This the program counter of your assembler and/or linker, which lays down code and data into your rom image file at build time. This is what jumps around. Maybe think of it as a needle in a programmable sewing machine. The .segment directive creates a sort of label. In your linker config file, you associate those special labels with exact "coordinates" on the cloth. The linker will instruct the needle to jump to these predefined positions of the cloth and lay something down there.

Vectors, for example, are always at the very end of ROM, or even repeated last in every bank in some cases where the last portion of the address range is bank switchable. So it's neat to instead of defining the address of the vectors manually with padding, simply write your three vectors under the segment called vectors and the linker will take care of the rest for you.

Also be sure to check out the linker documentation on the same page.
test_matsu

Post by test_matsu »

FrankenGraphics wrote:
is it like functions in normal programming?
No, functions are all done in assembly. You pass arguments to functions through the axy registers, sometimes some flags, and temp memory allocations in the zero page, and call them with jsr and jmp.
.segment seems to be something I haven't although reading about it I think it jumps to other parts of the rom?
Sort of... we need to talk about what jumps to different parts (segments) of the rom. I think you're aware of the normal program counter, ie, the cpu register keeping score of where in the program we are during runtime. This is not what jumps.

There is also a second concept of "program counter", somewhat confusingly. This the program counter of your assembler and/or linker, which lays down code and data into your rom image file at build time. This is what jumps around. Maybe think of it as a needle in a programmable sewing machine. The .segment directive creates a sort of label. In your linker config file, you associate those special labels with exact "coordinates" on the cloth. The linker will instruct the needle to jump to these predefined positions of the cloth and lay something down there.

Vectors, for example, are always at the very end of ROM, or even repeated last in every bank in some cases where the last portion of the address range is bank switchable. So it's neat to instead of defining the address of the vectors manually with padding, simply write your three vectors under the segment called vectors and the linker will take care of the rest for you.

Also be sure to check out the linker documentation on the same page.
Oh so it's something where you would place code into to make different bytes be assigned to different things. However it is also something that can then later use this data to be used once again.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

If you want to repeat code & data, you need to use .repeat or .macro

Let's say you want to increase x by four, using the inx instruction.

that'd be:
inx
inx
inx
inx

or, to have better code density/readability, you could do it like this in ca65:

.repeat 4
inx
.endrepeat

macros work more like the stampclone tool of various paint programs.

.macro name
;some code goes here
.endmacro

then each time you type name on a line, that code will be clonestamped there. You can pass arguments to macros as well.

edit: changed syntax to follow ca65.
test_matsu

Post by test_matsu »

FrankenGraphics wrote:If you want to repeat code & data, you need to use .repeat or .macro

Let's say you want to increase x by four, using the inx instruction.

that'd be:
inx
inx
inx
inx

or, to have better code density/readability, you could do it like this in ca65:

.repeat 4
inx
.endrepeat

macros work more like the stampclone tool of various paint programs.

.macro name
;some code goes here
.endmacro

then each time you type name on a line, that code will be clonestamped there. You can pass arguments to macros as well.

edit: changed syntax to follow ca65.
Where might I get the header file / basic head for a nes at? Like I understand some of it mostly that it uses

Code: Select all

$00
$01
$02
ect..

FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Typically, you keep your header either at the top of your main document*, or in a separate file, and use the .include directive to insert it at that point in code during build time.

*i do it like this:

defines (constants, structs, zero page reservations and what else)
header (this is the first thing that actually is laid down in your rom image file)
code and what else
vectors

You can find how a header is structured here:
https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/INES
test_matsu

Post by test_matsu »

FrankenGraphics wrote:Typically, you keep your header either at the top of your main document*, or in a separate file, and use the .include directive to insert it at that point in code during build time.

*i do it like this:

defines (constants, structs, zero page reservations and what else)
header (this is the first thing that actually is laid down in your rom image file)
code and what else
vectors

You can find how a header is structured here:
https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/INES
Wait wait wait I think I got it so I am basically writing to memory for Input, Display, and Sound? So when I write my header I use a memory address to call a byte to update the screens display.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

test_matsu wrote:Wait wait wait I think I got it so I am basically writing to memory for Input, Display, and Sound?
Almost. It's not really memory, but memory-mapped registers. The 6502 doesn't have any dedicated means of communicating with other hardware, so machines that use it have to watch the address bus and "catch" any accesses to special addresses and redirect those to different pieces of hardware.
So when I write my header I use a memory address to call a byte to update the screens display.
No, nothing like that. The header is just a bunch of information that lets emulators know what kind of cartridge they need to emulate in order to run your game. It specifies things like how big the ROMs are, which mapper chip/configuration it uses, whether there's extra RAM present, and so on. Without that, emulators (and flash carts like the PiwerPak or the Everdrive N8) can't tell what kind of environment to setup for your game.
test_matsu

Post by test_matsu »

tokumaru wrote:
test_matsu wrote:Wait wait wait I think I got it so I am basically writing to memory for Input, Display, and Sound?
Almost. It's not really memory, but memory-mapped registers. The 6502 doesn't have any dedicated means of communicating with other hardware, so machines that use it have to watch the address bus and "catch" any accesses to special addresses and redirect those to different pieces of hardware.
So when I write my header I use a memory address to call a byte to update the screens display.
No, nothing like that. The header is just a bunch of information that lets emulators know what kind of cartridge they need to emulate in order to run your game. It specifies things like how big the ROMs are, which mapper chip/configuration it uses, whether there's extra RAM present, and so on. Without that, emulators (and flash carts like the PiwerPak or the Everdrive N8) can't tell what kind of environment to setup for your game.
Where can I find example code for a header? All I find is bytes and not exactly user-friendly (In my case.. I am better with code examples)
tepples

Post by tepples »

test_matsu

Post by test_matsu »

It took me forever but found a header

HEADER:
.use Global,*
.use Ppu
.use Vblank
.use Game

.segment "HEADER"

.byte "NES"
.byte $1a
.byte $02 		; 4 - 2*16k PRG ROM
.byte $01 		; 5 - 8k CHR ROM
.byte %00000001	; 6 - mapper
.byte $00 		; 7
.byte $00 		; 8 - 
.byte $00 		; 9 - NTSC
.byte $00
; Filler
.byte $00,$00,$00,$00,$00

I don't know if it's similar in anyway but does this work?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Do you want mapper #1? I would have assumed #0.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
tepples

Post by tepples »

Byte 6 = $01 means mapper low nibble 0 and vertical mirroring. Combined with byte 7, which specifies a mapper high nibble also 0, the mapper is 0 (NROM).
test_matsu

Post by test_matsu »

tepples wrote:Byte 6 = $01 means mapper low nibble 0 and vertical mirroring. Combined with byte 7, which specifies a mapper high nibble also 0, the mapper is 0 (NROM).
I believe this is better?

; iNES identifier 
.byte "NES" 
.byte $1a 
; Number of PRG-ROM blocks 
.byte $01 
; Number of CHR-ROM blocks 
.byte $01 
; ROM control bytes: Horizontal mirroring, no SRAM 
; or trainer, Mapper #0 
.byte $00, $00 
; Filler 
.byte $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00 
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yes now it looks like a header for NROM.

This wiki page explains the basics about programming NROM. The eighth byte in the header example is 8 instead of 0 like yours, but that only means it is using a NES 2.0 header instead of an iNES header like you use. Either is fine in most cases.
test_matsu

Post by test_matsu »

Pokun wrote:Yes now it looks like a header for NROM.

This wiki page explains the basics about programming NROM. The eighth byte in the header example is 8 instead of 0 like yours, but that only means it is using a NES 2.0 header instead of an iNES header like you use. Either is fine in most cases.
How would I create a Init code To reset the NROM for the vbanks? Would I write to a memory address with a specific value? than use JMP?

Edit: Would I add a new segment to call the NMI?

Edit_2: Oh I am learning so much faster thanks for the links everyone for sending me them also I now know what is kinda going on

Blah: ;I am a label, I can be used to JMP to

;This code allows the label MainLoop to be repeated with JMP

MainLoop:
    JMP MainLoop