Red Screen

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

Nugem

Red Screen

Post by Nugem » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:20 am

I think I've exhausted Google search. I took a Super Mario 2, replaced the Roms with I think Loopie Mario 2 hack. Tested in the emulator it worked. I copied and filled the ROMS, they verified okay. I have placed in my NES and welcomed with a giant red screen.

I have one other game, Duck Hunt and Mario 1. It works fine.

Thanks, best regards
P

lidnariq

Re: Red Screen

Post by lidnariq » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:01 am

Which emulators have you tested in?

ap9

Post by ap9 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:18 am

Solid color screens tend to be due to bad pin connections. Saying this from experience with my NES and corroded pins. Make sure the board and solder connections are good, continuity tests if you can.

Edit: reading further, it may also be the lockout chip, especially since using a modified ROM.

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:31 pm

Lockout chip only deals with the blinky thing, where it resets every second, not with any failing code.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

Nugem

Post by Nugem » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Testing different games I have found the issue is not with the games, they all work after 1-100 tries. I ordered a new 72 Pin Connector and am hoping that will resolve the issue. I have cleaned the board and games. The connector will arrive in a couple of days and if it resolves the problem I will post the results here for anyone else having the same issues.