Reference implementation for debug

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

colt

Reference implementation for debug

Post by colt »

Hi. I was wondering which would be a good "reference" implementation to compare my emulation to a "proved to be correct" one. Hopefully one that prints the contents of the registers before/after every instruction, that informs the memory locations being accessed. One that prints the content of the emulation to a file or even to a terminal (as long as I can specify a break point) I heard about FCEUX. Does it meet my needs?
tepples

Re: Reference implementation for debug

Post by tepples »

colt wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:20 pm Hi. I was wondering which would be a good "reference" implementation to compare my emulation to a "proved to be correct" one. Hopefully one that prints the contents of the registers before/after every instruction, that informs the memory locations being accessed. One that prints the content of the emulation to a file or even to a terminal (as long as I can specify a break point) I heard about FCEUX. Does it meet my needs?
The common practice as described on "Emulator tests" on the wiki is to load nestest.nes (see also manual), JSR $C000, and compare register values to a known good log produced by Nintendulator.