nesdev.com
https://forums.nesdev.com/

8x16 and whatever else unreg wants to know
https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7451
Page 46 of 95

Author:  cpow [ Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x16 sprite is really a 16x32 pixel image?

3gengames wrote:
Maybe putting it in it's own file directory and not in your projects directory, like it does with snapshots and such.

I find it really strange that anyone would complain about files being created by tools that they're using.

Having the debug file in the same location as the NES file makes it unambiguous as to the intent of the debug file and the NES file that it's connected to. If it's in another folder somewhere then some *other* file would have to be created to keep track of the fact that that debug file is associated with the NES file somewhere else. Maybe the tool would put that association in the registry but then a different group of people would complain about their registry being "polluted" with a key representing the NES/debug file association for each NES file they ever opened.

By the way, your web browser is creating hundreds of files just so you can read this message... :shock:

Author:  3gengames [ Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x16 sprite is really a 16x32 pixel image?

When it puts unneeded garbage in your project folder, you'd be a sheep not to dislike it. And plus the folders option works for EVERY other feature in FCEUX, why not the debug files? Makes zero sense. If the file was useful though, like NESASM3's list of all the pointers and stuff, I'd be okay with it. A debug file that you don't need after you recompile the project/close the ROM should have an option at minimum.

And by the way, it isn't putting it in my document or any other files directory, so it's not helping your case to bring up my web browser.

Author:  Kasumi [ Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x16 sprite is really a 16x32 pixel image?

3gengames wrote:
When it puts unneeded garbage in your project folder, you'd be a sheep not to dislike it.

You really like those absolute statements. I don't care even a little bit, and I'm obviously not a "sheep" because (like you) I use nesasm despite more recommended alternatives. I actually prefer FCEUX's behavior. Nintendulator hides away potentially huge files when you use its debug logging. Then I have to actually navigate to its directory to delete them just to free the massive amount of hard drive space they can take up which is much more annoying for me, personally. But no one is "a sheep" or wrong because they prefer that behavior. I can see why they would. At least FCEUXs default allows them to be easily destroyed with a batch like Tokumaru and Shiru do. Customization would be better, but eh. Whatever.

Author:  unregistered [ Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x16 sprite is really a 16x32 pixel image?

cpow wrote:
3gengames wrote:
Maybe putting it in it's own file directory and not in your projects directory, like it does with snapshots and such.

I find it really strange that anyone would complain about files being created by tools that they're using.


Well, my folder just had files I could use... and then the .deb files were created :( and now they are mixed with my .nes files. The one I opened in Notepad was blank... it contained a lot of spaces. Files with tons of spaces aren't very useable right now for me... and so I too would like them to be created in another folder named "deb" cause I'm sure they are helpful. : ) Thank you 3gengames for your quick reply. :)

tokumaru wrote:
Every time you use the debugger with a game an annoying .deb file is created. I find that really annoying when I'm developing, so I added a command to delete .deb files in the batch file that assembles the project.
Shiru wrote:
The same here.
Ha ha. That's brilliant! :D

Author:  cpow [ Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x16 sprite is really a 16x32 pixel image?

unregistered wrote:
Well, my folder just had files I could use... and then the .deb files were created :( and now they are mixed with my .nes files. The one I opened in Notepad was blank... it contained a lot of spaces. Files with tons of spaces aren't very useable right now for me... and so I too would like them to be created in another folder named "deb" cause I'm sure they are helpful. : ) Thank you 3gengames for your quick reply. :)

Why do you need to be able to "use" the .deb file? Do you click on random links in emails? :lol:

Author:  tokumaru [ Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x16 sprite is really a 16x32 pixel image?

tepples wrote:
How else would you recommend saving breakpoints from one run to the next?

I hardly need to save breakpoints, that's the thing. While developing, code and variables shift around a lot.

Anyway, it would be nice if the emulator just offered an option to not save debugging sessions at all.

Author:  tepples [ Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x16 sprite is really a 16x32 pixel image?

I'm used to .deb files being software installation packages and double-clicking them to open them in the package installer. But then I use Ubuntu.

Author:  unregistered [ Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x16 sprite is really a 16x32 pixel image?

Hi. Do you know if Nintendo provided any materials to instruct NES programmers? I would like a Nintendo book, if there is such a thing. :)

cpow wrote:
unregistered wrote:
Well, my folder just had files I could use... and then the .deb files were created :( and now they are mixed with my .nes files. The one I opened in Notepad was blank... it contained a lot of spaces. Files with tons of spaces aren't very useable right now for me... and so I too would like them to be created in another folder named "deb" cause I'm sure they are helpful. : ) Thank you 3gengames for your quick reply. :)

Why do you need to be able to "use" the .deb file?


Because they take up room in my folder in between each .nes file. They're just unuseable bits and I wish they weren't there. :|

Author:  tokumaru [ Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x16 sprite is really a 16x32 pixel image?

unregistered wrote:
Do yall know if Nintendo provided any materials to instruct NES programmers?

They sure did, but we couldn't get our hands on anything official. According to what we heard from developers, the documentation wasn't very good anyway. Some of it was even in japanese and the programmers were on their own in the task of making sense of it.

Quote:
I would like a book. :)

I'm pretty sure that the reverse engineered information we have today is better than what Nintendo made available to developers back in the day.

Author:  unregistered [ Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x16 sprite is really a 16x32 pixel image?

tokumaru wrote:
unregistered wrote:
Do yall know if Nintendo provided any materials to instruct NES programmers?

They sure did, but we couldn't get our hands on anything official. According to what we heard from developers, the documentation wasn't very good anyway. Some of it was even in japanese and the programmers were on their own in the task of making sense of it.

Quote:
I would like a book. :)

I'm pretty sure that the reverse engineered information we have today is better than what Nintendo made available to developers back in the day.


Thanks tokumaru. :) It would be incredibly amazing to beable to read Nintendo's instructions... they made Super Mario Bros. and it was incredible! For me it would me good to read what Nintendo thought we needed to know... just cause Nintendo wrote the instructions. They are Nintendo after all. :)

Author:  tepples [ Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x16 sprite is really a 16x32 pixel image?

What Nintendo thinks we need to know is that hobbyists should stick to Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, iOS, and Android, and prove their skills on one or more of those platforms and hire an experienced business manager before developing for one of Nintendo's platforms.

Author:  Shiru [ Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x16 sprite is really a 16x32 pixel image?

There is no official NES programming manual available, but you can easily find the SNES one, if you are just interested what an official doc looks like. There are official docs for some other platforms around as well (Atari 2600, Genesis, Neo Geo, maybe more).

Author:  LocalH [ Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x16 sprite is really a 16x32 pixel image?

tokumaru wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the reverse engineered information we have today is better than what Nintendo made available to developers back in the day.

Wonder if that's one reason why Rare's games were generally so good, since they basically did the same thing. Now I'd like to see their old docs.

Author:  unregistered [ Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x16 sprite is really a 16x32 pixel image?

tepples wrote:
What Nintendo thinks we need to know is that hobbyists should stick to Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, iOS, and Android, and prove their skills on one or more of those platforms and hire an experienced business manager before developing for one of Nintendo's platforms.

I think that's a wise decision on Nintendo's part! This is very tough to do but also incredibly fun at the same time. :D

Shiru wrote:
There is no official NES programming manual available, but you can easily find the SNES one, if you are just interested what an official doc looks like. There are official docs for some other platforms around as well (Atari 2600, Genesis, Neo Geo, maybe more).


Shiru, thank you for mentioning this! :D Is the SNES a truly super version of the NES... an improved 2a03? Just wondering... if it is then I was thinking about buying it. Nintendo's thoughts about a superior NES would be good to read... I think. :)

Author:  unregistered [ Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

To find if (a < 13) a branch you could try, after the compare, might be
Code:
bcc solution


... if (a >= 13) ...
Code:
bcs solution


Are these correct? I spent a while searching this thread for what I thought tokumaru had posted in a reply to me... my searching was unsuccessful :(

edit:
In this thread tokumaru wrote:
Now, to understand this part you must understand how subtraction works on the 6502. You know that we always set the carry flag before a subtraction (and that the CMP instruction assumes that the carry is set). I like to think of that carry bit as a bit you place there to be borrowed during the operation in case the second number is larger than the first. Then, to know if a number is larger than the other, you check the state of the carry flag afterwards. If it's clear, the 1 was borrowed, meaning that the second number was larger than the first. If it's set, the first number is larger or they are equal.
Ahhh yes... this is good! Thanks tokumaru! :D

Page 46 of 95 All times are UTC - 7 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/