Famicom extra sound mod for NES.

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

BadChad

Famicom extra sound mod for NES.

Post by BadChad »

Hi guys. Im new here and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

I was reading through a topic on Digital Press about a guy who was having the issue of his Just Breed cart not playing the extra sound wave in the audio. Naturally this is because NES pin slots are different than the famicom or something along those lines. I have the same issue with my Gimmick! cart and its always really dissapointed me as that game has such an awsome soundtrack.

Anyway as I keep reading I notice this in a reply from another forum member:

"The problem is that the EXSOUND pin on the cartridge slot isn't used on a US NES, so you won't hear any of the extra audio.
There's a workaround for this problem, but you have to make a minor modification or two to your NES motherboard. Look in the NESDEV forums for details."

Im hoping someone knows where I can find the instructions for this mod if their still around.

I also found this video on youtube and this mods seems extremely easy but Im not sure if this will only work on FDS games or the Power Pak. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z507PxcLjs

If anyone has any info on this and can help me out, it would be much appreciated. Hoping to do this mod tonight after work if its possible and I can find the right information.

Thanks,
Chad.
rainwarrior

Re: Famicom extra sound mod for NES.

Post by rainwarrior »

The PowerPak audio mod is one of two steps you need to perform. You also need to mod your NES to Famicom adapter for it to work with Famicom carts as well.

1. 47k resistor (I recommend a 100k pot instead, so you can adjust it) between EXP6 and Audio In on the expansion port. Details of that mod are available in a bunch of places, like that video you posted. I won't explain it here.

2. Connect a wire from EXP6 to the Famicom audio return pin on your NES to Famicom connector.

Picture:
BadChad

Post by BadChad »

That sounds simple enough, two easy solders. A resistor on the NES and wire on the converter. All I gotta do is run out and grab a resistor and Im gonna give this a shot. Thanks for the help!
BadChad

Post by BadChad »

It worked! My copy of Gimmick! sounds great like it should now. My friends didnt seem to notice any difference when I compared it to my NTSC repro but I can tell so I guess thats all that matters. Thanks again!
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

BadChad wrote:It worked! My copy of Gimmick! sounds great like it should now. My friends didnt seem to notice any difference when I compared it to my NTSC repro but I can tell so I guess thats all that matters. Thanks again!
I know the feeling and I'm guessing most here do to... Seems that no one close to you really see the awesomeness in things of the NES matter :)
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
BadChad

Post by BadChad »

Yup, your totally right there. Im a pretty big collector and everyone seems to know that the NES is my pride and joy. We go way back lol. I also have a wicked ear for music so I guess I cant blame them for not noticing. Im the kinda of person who grabs my guitar and learns most of the song by ear before I need and help from tabs to figure out the tricky/hard to play parts.