Could the Super FX 1 Chip Scale sprites?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Ronian53

Could the Super FX 1 Chip Scale sprites?

Post by Ronian53 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:11 pm

So if you look at most Super Fx games you'll see that both the polygons and what look like sprites are combined into one layer. Yoshi's Island breaks this and does it like a normal game with sprite scaling. Could the first Super FX also do this or was this something new added for Super FX 2? And when the Super FX2 does scale sprites, does the sprite size change to the closest number (16x16 to 32x32) or does it have dynamic changing of the sprite width and height number?

dougeff

Re: Could the Super FX 1 Chip Scale sprites?

Post by dougeff » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:29 pm

I thought the main difference between the boards was the GSU2 was twice as fast as the GSU1.

I remember reading that this was necessary for Doom to work.

Edit, this thread discusses differences in the chips.
viewtopic.php?t=14746

(and an extra pin for larger ROM support)
Last edited by dougeff on Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:09 pm

When a SuperFX game scales/rotates sprites, it just creates a scaled/rotated version of the sprite's graphic, then copies that newly rendered graphic into the SNES's video RAM where it's just displayed the same as any other sprite. Both GSU1 and GSU2 have a mode for rendering graphics intended to be displayed with sprites and they're both capable of doing this.

It just doesn't make a ton of sense to do sprite rendering in a game that's already doing 3D background rendering, due to limited resources.

Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:45 am

NovaSquirrel wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:09 pm
It just doesn't make a ton of sense to do sprite rendering in a game that's already doing 3D background rendering, due to limited resources.
Doesn't Star Fox already do this for certain explosions, and asteroids? They just don't output the scaled sprite to OAM.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.