Mystery Weird Japanese SA-1 Game

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Great Hierophant

Mystery Weird Japanese SA-1 Game

Post by Great Hierophant »

Several years ago I remember hearing about a Japanese Super Famicom game that was discovered to contain an SA-1 chip inside it but it makes absolutely no use of the performance enhancing SA-1 features. I believe the game only used the SA-1 as a lockout chip and the internal header may not have indicated that the game used an SA-1. I cannot recall the name of the game and do not know if it ever made it to the official lists of games that use the SA-1. I tried searching for this information but was unsuccessful. Can anyone with a better memory than mine help me out?
Revenant

Re: Mystery Weird Japanese SA-1 Game

Post by Revenant »

Pachi-Slot Monogatari: PAL Kougyou Special is probably the game you're thinking of. If I remember right, the header does correctly indicate that the SA-1 is present but the game never actually does anything with it.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Does it still function as region protection that way? Hindering region-adapters and systems without a lockout chip from working?
I guess it's no use as a copy protection if it's never used for running any code though.
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

Revenant wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:19 pm Pachi-Slot Monogatari: PAL Kougyou Special is probably the game you're thinking of. If I remember right, the header does correctly indicate that the SA-1 is present but the game never actually does anything with it.
Yes, I think this was it. Thank you! :beer: This game seems unique for the Super Famicom in that it battery backed the RAM inside an ASIC like the SA-1 instead of using an external memory chip.