FM synth BRR sample generator

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
psycopathicteen

Re: FM synth BRR sample generator

Post by psycopathicteen »

I'm having trouble with higher notes not sounding like guitars. Do I not have the right ADSR envelopes or the right kind of vibrato?
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

psycopathicteen wrote:I'm having trouble with higher notes not sounding like guitars.
Why would that be a problem? :lol:
psycopathicteen

I'm trying to make guitars sounds.
Stef

Post by Stef »

Using FM synth ? Complicate to replicate, i think that requires very high frequency modulation.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Yeah, I'm stupid, I misread it as sounding like, not not sounding like. That joke sucked. :lol:
psycopathicteen

You can hear how the first part it does a fairly good guitar sound, but when you get to the second part it sounds really weird.
Attachments
Alisha's theme with guitar.ogg
(848.16 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

That's a very bizarre FM guitar. I was expecting something along the lines of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlmbkKtjfSc
psycopathicteen

That's because I'm not an FM synth expert.
psycopathicteen

Found what was causing it to sound crappy at high frequencies. The way I calculated note frequencies was too inaccurate.
psycopathicteen

I've been thinking of ways to do 4 op fm synth on either the CPU or SPC700 (or both at the same time), and then I thought maybe I can make a 2612 VGM player if I can get all 6 channels to work.
Stef

Post by Stef »

Would be awesome to have a 2612 VGM player on SNES, honestly i though from years now about doing the opposite (SPC player on Sega Genesis ^^).
psycopathicteen

I think I'll try doing HDMA SPC700 loading. So, I guess I just have to time the spc700 loop to be exactly 65 cycles, but somehow make sure it starts at the beginning of a scanline too. Like checking for a header byte, followed by 32 nops, followed by the loop.
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

psycopathicteen: have you considered making an python IT/XM/etc tracker conversion script etc for this that exports to SPC, ASM code or SFC binary?

The n00bz over at http://battleofthebits.org could have some fun with this. :)
Stef

Post by Stef »

psycopathicteen wrote:I think I'll try doing HDMA SPC700 loading. So, I guess I just have to time the spc700 loop to be exactly 65 cycles, but somehow make sure it starts at the beginning of a scanline too. Like checking for a header byte, followed by 32 nops, followed by the loop.
Won't you waste many previous SPC700 cpu time doing that ? I believe having a fast loading loop once per frame would probably be probably lighter on SPC side at least.
psycopathicteen

I just tried doing it the normal way, and I counted cycles and it appears that it takes just as long for the spc700 either way. I did it 2 bytes at a time, and it added up to 33 spc700 cycles per 16 bits, which would be 66 cycles per 32 bits. I could also try doing 4 bytes at once, but I doubt there will be much improvement.