DKC 2 Diddy Kong Quest hacks not working?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
guitarzombie

DKC 2 Diddy Kong Quest hacks not working?

Post by guitarzombie »

Hey all,

Someone recently asked me about some Donkey Kong Country 2 hacks to put on a cart. I never did a large SNES game but I looked it up and it seemed fine. But for some reason its not booting up, and im looking for some possibilities.

The hacks are: Donkey Kong Country 2: Hard as Kongkrete and Donkey Kong Country 2: The Lost Levels.

Both are 4 Meg Hi-Rom, fastROMs with 2k SRAM and battery. So I got a Retrostage board and put it together, with the correct jumpers and all, even double checking with the pdf.

I patched the game, cracked the region protection, both dont have headers, both CRC codes are correct and the patched rom works in an emulator. The only thing I can think of is that the Retrostage boards come with 64k SRAM (but that shouldnt make a difference, the game would still turn on), the board itself is bad or that its a FastROM game. But for both games I used an M27c322 chip thats 100ns. Chips both verified correctly, so its also possible I prepped the chip wrong. I think I used the 'SlowRom' fix on both.

Anyone have any experience with this game not working or needing something special? All I get is a black screen and the game never turns over. Happened with both games. I haven't seen many people make them before so it might be one of those PIA games.
lidnariq

Re: DKC 2 Diddy Kong Quest hacks not working?

Post by lidnariq »

For custom SNES things, if someone doesn't explicitly state that they have tested in (at least) bsnes or (preferably) on hardware, it's been pretty safe to assume that if it's not working on hardware, that's on the creator of the program/hack, not you.
guitarzombie

Post by guitarzombie »

lidnariq wrote:For custom SNES things, if someone doesn't explicitly state that they have tested in (at least) bsnes or (preferably) on hardware, it's been pretty safe to assume that if it's not working on hardware, that's on the creator of the program/hack, not you.
Yeah I thought that might be a possibility too before I put it together. But have seen only 1 person make a Lost Levels one and another make the other, also unsure if they were given a specific version.

EDIT. I also just tested it in bsnes and they both work.
getafixx

Post by getafixx »

Might be a silly question, but did you include the SuperCIC chip?

Might want to contact RetroStage directly, otherwise.
guitarzombie

Post by guitarzombie »

Yeah, it came with a clone CIC when I got the board.
tepples

Post by tepples »

What happens when you flash Holy Striker Batman? If it shows something, can I get a screenshot?
guitarzombie

Post by guitarzombie »

Perhaps ill give that a shot. Silly to say but I dont even own an SNES. I dont make SNES just a few that are simple. This is the first one I made that was 4 megs.
guitarzombie

Post by guitarzombie »

As an update, thanks to Markfrizb, it looks like the Retrostage PCB is just bad. As both hacks worked for him on other boards using the exact same files I used to burn the chips.