new bsnes-plus debugging features

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
HihiDanni

Re: new bsnes-plus debugging features

Post by HihiDanni »

So I decided to try this out. Built my bounceballs example, renamed my debug.sym file to superfeather-ex-bounceballs.sym and it's picked up my symbols! Neat! I'm not sure how I feel about it saving changes into the original symbols file, since my buildsystem is going to overwrite that .sym file on every build. I'd like to second the motion to move bsnes-plus modifications of the symbols to a different file, so that any extra metadata doesn't get lost.
SNES NTSC 2/1/3 1CHIP | serial number UN318588627
Optiroc

Post by Optiroc »

I've merged these *awesome* additions, together with the latest changes from Revenenant and Undisbeliever, to my macOS branch. Pre-built binary here.
benvanik

Post by benvanik »

optiroc: does your branch still work on other platforms? (when building from source, no need for binaries)
I'm interested in making some fixes/tweaks to the debugger; wondering to which repo I should send pull requests :)
Optiroc

Post by Optiroc »

benvanik wrote:optiroc: does your branch still work on other platforms? (when building from source, no need for binaries)
I'm interested in making some fixes/tweaks to the debugger; wondering to which repo I should send pull requests :)
I haven’t tried in a good while, but I see no reason it shouldn’t compile with the right prerequisites in place. That said, you should absolutely send PRs to Revenant or BenjaminSchulte instead (depending on what you base your changes on)!
benvanik

Post by benvanik »

There's some build issues on Windows with QT5; I was able to hack around most of them but the big one is that QT for mingw doesn't support Qt's WebEngine at all. I replaced the QWebEngine use in the console with the QTextEdit from the original and it works! I am noticing some massive slowdowns when logging DMA; I doubt chromium would handle it much better. May be good to switch to a listview or something instead. Also, oddly the font used in the disassembly and memory windows is now too large (though this may just be an artifact of qt4->5).

I do like the changes you've merged in for the Tile Viewer and your fixes on top of the debugger. With these three sets of changes combined the debugger is pretty sweet! Awesome stuff all around :thumbsup:
Optiroc

Post by Optiroc »

benvanik wrote:There's some build issues on Windows with QT5; I was able to hack around most of them but the big one is that QT for mingw doesn't support Qt's WebEngine at all. I replaced the QWebEngine use in the console with the QTextEdit from the original and it works! I am noticing some massive slowdowns when logging DMA; I doubt chromium would handle it much better. May be good to switch to a listview or something instead. Also, oddly the font used in the disassembly and memory windows is now too large (though this may just be an artifact of qt4->5).
Yeah, about that... :) For my own builds I've added a system to log game/project specific information (as well as the DMA logging you've discovered in the public branch) in real time, and the old QtTextEdit view slowed down the application to a halt *quickly*. The WebEngine view handles massive amounts of logging much better, I suspect, by virtue of being spun off a separate thread.

The better solution would be to write a custom view, obviously, having a full chromium process just for a console logger is a massive waste of resources... But I believe it would still need to run in a separate thread and I'm not familiar enough with Qt to be able to hack something like that together in a reasonable amount of time.
benvanik wrote:I do like the changes you've merged in for the Tile Viewer and your fixes on top of the debugger. With these three sets of changes combined the debugger is pretty sweet! Awesome stuff all around :thumbsup:
The improvements to the VRAM viewers are 100% Undisbeliever's work so be sure to thank him if you find them useful!
tepples

Post by tepples »

Optiroc wrote:The better solution would be to write a custom view, obviously, having a full chromium process just for a console logger is a massive waste of resources
Which incidentally is why I run Discord in a web browser instead of installing its (Electron-based) native client.
olddb

Post by olddb »

Thank you for this the debugger.

Question:
Where does bnes keep the configuration files stored?
I downloaded a fresh version and when I opened it has all the paths and configs saved from the old binary.

I need to reset the settings as a crash caused some weird behavior on the emulator/debugger. Now all games have slow down!

Thank you .
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

on Windows:
%appdata%/.bsnes/bsnes-qt.cfg

otherwise:
~/.bsnes/bsnes-qt.cfg
drludos

Post by drludos »

Thanks a lot for this very interesting tool!

By any chance, is it also available as compiled windows binaries somewhere? :)
Download ROMs of my games: https://drludos.itch.io/
Support my work and get access to beta and prototypes: https://www.patreon.com/drludos