nesdev.com
https://forums.nesdev.com/

new bsnes-plus debugging features
https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16625
Page 3 of 3

Author:  HihiDanni [ Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: new bsnes-plus debugging features

So I decided to try this out. Built my bounceballs example, renamed my debug.sym file to superfeather-ex-bounceballs.sym and it's picked up my symbols! Neat! I'm not sure how I feel about it saving changes into the original symbols file, since my buildsystem is going to overwrite that .sym file on every build. I'd like to second the motion to move bsnes-plus modifications of the symbols to a different file, so that any extra metadata doesn't get lost.

Author:  Optiroc [ Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: new bsnes-plus debugging features

I've merged these *awesome* additions, together with the latest changes from Revenenant and Undisbeliever, to my macOS branch. Pre-built binary here.

Author:  benvanik [ Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: new bsnes-plus debugging features

optiroc: does your branch still work on other platforms? (when building from source, no need for binaries)
I'm interested in making some fixes/tweaks to the debugger; wondering to which repo I should send pull requests :)

Author:  Optiroc [ Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: new bsnes-plus debugging features

benvanik wrote:
optiroc: does your branch still work on other platforms? (when building from source, no need for binaries)
I'm interested in making some fixes/tweaks to the debugger; wondering to which repo I should send pull requests :)


I haven’t tried in a good while, but I see no reason it shouldn’t compile with the right prerequisites in place. That said, you should absolutely send PRs to Revenant or BenjaminSchulte instead (depending on what you base your changes on)!

Author:  benvanik [ Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: new bsnes-plus debugging features

There's some build issues on Windows with QT5; I was able to hack around most of them but the big one is that QT for mingw doesn't support Qt's WebEngine at all. I replaced the QWebEngine use in the console with the QTextEdit from the original and it works! I am noticing some massive slowdowns when logging DMA; I doubt chromium would handle it much better. May be good to switch to a listview or something instead. Also, oddly the font used in the disassembly and memory windows is now too large (though this may just be an artifact of qt4->5).

I do like the changes you've merged in for the Tile Viewer and your fixes on top of the debugger. With these three sets of changes combined the debugger is pretty sweet! Awesome stuff all around :thumbsup:

Author:  Optiroc [ Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: new bsnes-plus debugging features

benvanik wrote:
There's some build issues on Windows with QT5; I was able to hack around most of them but the big one is that QT for mingw doesn't support Qt's WebEngine at all. I replaced the QWebEngine use in the console with the QTextEdit from the original and it works! I am noticing some massive slowdowns when logging DMA; I doubt chromium would handle it much better. May be good to switch to a listview or something instead. Also, oddly the font used in the disassembly and memory windows is now too large (though this may just be an artifact of qt4->5).

Yeah, about that... :) For my own builds I've added a system to log game/project specific information (as well as the DMA logging you've discovered in the public branch) in real time, and the old QtTextEdit view slowed down the application to a halt *quickly*. The WebEngine view handles massive amounts of logging much better, I suspect, by virtue of being spun off a separate thread.

The better solution would be to write a custom view, obviously, having a full chromium process just for a console logger is a massive waste of resources... But I believe it would still need to run in a separate thread and I'm not familiar enough with Qt to be able to hack something like that together in a reasonable amount of time.

benvanik wrote:
I do like the changes you've merged in for the Tile Viewer and your fixes on top of the debugger. With these three sets of changes combined the debugger is pretty sweet! Awesome stuff all around :thumbsup:

The improvements to the VRAM viewers are 100% Undisbeliever's work so be sure to thank him if you find them useful!

Author:  tepples [ Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: new bsnes-plus debugging features

Optiroc wrote:
The better solution would be to write a custom view, obviously, having a full chromium process just for a console logger is a massive waste of resources

Which incidentally is why I run Discord in a web browser instead of installing its (Electron-based) native client.

Author:  olddb [ Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: new bsnes-plus debugging features

Thank you for this the debugger.

Question:
Where does bnes keep the configuration files stored?
I downloaded a fresh version and when I opened it has all the paths and configs saved from the old binary.

I need to reset the settings as a crash caused some weird behavior on the emulator/debugger. Now all games have slow down!

Thank you .

Author:  Revenant [ Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: new bsnes-plus debugging features

on Windows:
%appdata%/.bsnes/bsnes-qt.cfg

otherwise:
~/.bsnes/bsnes-qt.cfg

Author:  drludos [ Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: new bsnes-plus debugging features

Thanks a lot for this very interesting tool!

By any chance, is it also available as compiled windows binaries somewhere? :)

Page 3 of 3 All times are UTC - 7 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/