blargg's SPC test ROMs

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
regiscaelus

Re: blargg's SPC test ROMs

Post by regiscaelus »

Great, thank you. So what you sent me is what I should be outputting. Let's have a look at DAS.
regiscaelus

Post by regiscaelus »

Hi Kingizor,

How did you get this output. Is it via an emulator?

I can now get a pass but then it then freezes. Is it possible to get hold of the assembler code to see what the rom does.
spc_smp_001.jpg
Kingizor

Post by Kingizor »

It seems to run one pass with the running hash, then checks the final result against what it expects. If the two hashes don't match it runs a second pass but logs each interim result along the way. Therefore, one can make it produce that list by damaging the running hash as the first pass is being run. By doing that in an emulator that would otherwise pass, it willl produce the list of "correct" hashes for each step.

Your output (in particular the "Passed 01" message at the bottom), indicates all the listed opcodes are fine so the issue seems to lie somewhere else. This is where things get tricky because there are a lot of reasons things might go wrong. It looks as though it completes the first pass successfully but doesn't manage to convey that back to the CPU, so it ends up running the second pass anyway and uploads the results.

I'd check that writes to $F1 are only clearing the ports on the SMP side, and that the 4-in, 4-out behaviour is correct on both sides.

If it's neither of those, then I'm not really sure. Whatever it is, it's probably not something that would affect most games, so I'd be happy to ignore it for the time being.
regiscaelus

Post by regiscaelus »

Thank you again Kingizor. I have checked the APU IOs and they work fine. There must be something else wrong and I suspect it comes from my CPU code. I need to to test/simulate each opcode with a fine tooth comb.
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

Really aggressive CPU instruction validation is a large missing component in the entire emulation scene.

The test suites all rely on the CPU core to be mostly functional, and some of the video circuitry implemented, in order to even run them.

But if you have a bug in a critical CPU instruction, you're in for a world of pain. The best I've found is to find another emulator and generate an instruction trace log from it, and then go line by line looking for bad flag / accumulator calculations.

A testing framework needs to be able to evaluate each instruction, without any other part of the CPU being present. That's not an easy problem, and one I'm not up for trying to solve right now, but at least you can be ~95% sure that someone evaluating a CPU interpreter is going to be using C or C++, so C would be the language of choice for the evaluation framework.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Then perhaps the answer is to start with a direct port of "nestest" (a basic 6502 test suite by kevtris) to SPC700, so that an emulator developer can detect where PC/AXY diverge from a known good trace. This should help shake out the most obvious problems with "critical" instructions.
bklD

Post by bklD »

- spc_dsp6.sfc
- spc_mem_access_times.sfc
- spc_spc.sfc
- spc_timer.sfc
---

did byuu change something? mesen s is the only emulator who passed all tests.
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

I pass them.
bklD

Post by bklD »

you did. now i know what's going on. spc_dsp6 and spc_timer failed since bsnes 110.1. https://github.com/byuu/bsnes/commit/6e ... f7fc06a969

but spc_mem_access_times and spc_spc... i have no idea. even a pretty old version failed.

edit
they work now with bsnes.
Last edited by bklD on Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

Oh, it's recent. Needed more details.

It's this issue:
https://github.com/SourMesen/Mesen-S/issues/40
https://github.com/byuu/bsnes/issues/124

Change in question:

Code: Select all

auto SMP::read(uint16 address) -> uint8 {
//wait(address);  //if the wait is here, blargg's tests pass
  uint8 data = readRAM(address);
  if((address & 0xfff0) == 0x00f0) data = readIO(address);
  wait(address);  //if the wait is here, Kishin Douji Senki boots
  return data;
}
Well, hopefully Sour has some ideas because I sure don't.
bklD

Post by bklD »

oh, so mesen s doesn't emulate this game yet and that's why spc_dsp6 is working. :)
Sour

Post by Sour »

byuu wrote:Well, hopefully Sour has some ideas because I sure don't.
I haven't had the chance to look into this just yet. Was mostly busy trying to finish up the features I wanted to add before releasing 0.3.0 the past couple of weeks (just released 0.3.0 an hour ago or so.) With most of the basic emulation features finally out of the way, I'll probably get back to trying to fix the last few games that don't work properly because of small IRQ/NMI/DMA/SPC timing issues (presumably)

Though given that your original fix causes blargg's test to fail, I'm not looking forward to tackling this particular bug :p
I'll let you know if I find something.
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

oh, so mesen s doesn't emulate this game yet and that's why spc_dsp6 is working. :)
Yeah. Writing an SNES emulator is playing Whack-a-Mole with 3000 active moles.
I'll let you know if I find something.
Awesome, that would be much appreciated! I'm intensely burned out right now ^-^;;
I think between these test ROMs and Kishin Douji Zenki, I'll leave the latter broken for now.
bklD

Post by bklD »

what exactly does blragg's speed_2_freezes2? startup routines? that's the only rom that failed with bsnes now

https://snescentral.com/article.php?id=1115
Attachments
speed_2_freezes2.smc
(64 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

That tests the SMP TEST register. It was based on older, incorrect assumptions about the test register.

With me, AWJ, and a few others, we figured out the rest of the bits of the TEST register: they controlled internal and external wait states.

Different SNES models have different lock-up percentages with the wait state settings, and some real SNESes fail that test from blargg as well.

We're all good now, don't worry about blargg's SMP/DSP test ROMs anymore please unless there's a regression.