Need help trying to understand SNES Burn-in Test Cart result

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
pkmpad

Need help trying to understand SNES Burn-in Test Cart result

Post by pkmpad »

Hello everyone.

Today, I finished my repro Burn-in test cartridge. I tried in my three non-working super famicoms, but I would need some help for understanding what do the errors mean, where do they come from and wether there is any possibility to fix them. I have attached photos of the results to this post.

SFC number 1:
This console is able to load games with good sound but terribly glitched graphics. I suspected from bad PPU1. The results of the tests are totally glitched. It is possible to see a red result in the third option from the bottom. Should that correspond to OBJ L OVER? If so, what does this mean? What is the chip responsible of this failure?

SFC number 2:
This system is able to load games untill sound is supposed to be emmited, when it freezes. It acts exactly the same as a SFC with the sound board removed. I thought it could be a bad APU (replaced the sound board with a working one and the problem persisted). The results of the tests indicate a bad OAM (01 FAIL). How should I interpret this? Is it a bad CPU?

SFC number 3:
Not even able to load the cartridge. No video output (neither a black screen). Revised and good power circuit and capacitors (LED turns on and every IC has enought voltage supplied). I have an oscilloscope to test the board depper. Any advice about where should I start? I know this may also be a bad CPU. Any way to get sure about that?

Any help will be welcomed.
Thank you very much.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2018-11-11 at 14.39.27.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-11-11 at 14.35.09.jpeg
niconii

Re: Need help trying to understand SNES Burn-in Test Cart re

Post by niconii »

OAM is the memory used for sprite attributes, which is located in PPU1.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

According to these logs, a black screen on a SNES has lots of chances to be caused by a bad WRAM.
There's also some more explanation about other errors. Hope this helps!
Good luck!
pkmpad

Post by pkmpad »

Nicole wrote:OAM is the memory used for sprite attributes, which is located in PPU1.
Nice. Then, does that mean that I should replace PPU1? It seems strange to me, since everything pointed to a failure in the APU or sound system. Any clue about what is that 01 code?
Fisher wrote:According to these logs, a black screen on a SNES has lots of chances to be caused by a bad WRAM.
There's also some more explanation about other errors. Hope this helps!
Good luck!
Thank you for the link. According to that, it may be either a bad WRAM or a bad CPU. Any way to test the CPU with an oscilloscope?

Thanks.