Mesen-S - SNES Emulator

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
windwakr2

Re: Mesen-S - SNES Emulator

Post by windwakr2 »

p5839 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:42 pm Sour claimed he "reverse engineered the timings from (SameBoy)", but looking at the code in question it was a deliberate copy, with slight formatting changes and variable renaming. Without accreditation, this is plagiarism. The smoking gun was a case statement in Mesen-S that only existed for backward-compatibility with older SameBoy save states, which had no other reason to exist at all. But there were several more examples.
Please provide links to said code.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I use both MESEN and MESEN-S all the time. They are extremely useful. So, I'm glad Sour made them.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
p5839

Post by p5839 »

windwakr2 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:12 pm Please provide links to said code.
https://github.com/SourMesen/Mesen-S/bl ... u.cpp#L426
https://github.com/SourMesen/Mesen-S/bl ... u.cpp#L520
dougeff wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:50 pm I use both MESEN and MESEN-S all the time. They are extremely useful. So, I'm glad Sour made them.
Everyone agrees here.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I don't know if there's any code stealing really going on, but the heart of Mesen/Mesen-S are the debugging tools, which are incredibly awesome. The emulation itself looks like a secondary concern to me.

I don't know much about software licenses, but I don't think that "stealing" a little bit of code is such a big deal, as long as you're not depriving the original owner of anything as a consequence. It's not like Sour became a millionaire because of a few code snippets he didn't come up with all by himself, and it's not like the "victims" lost anything tangible either.

Anyway, I hope they can sort it all out and everything goes back to normal. If there's one thing we don't need more of in the Internet, it's drama.
bklD

Post by bklD »

I don't know much about software licenses, but I don't think that "stealing" a little bit of code is such a big deal, as long as you're not depriving the original owner of anything as a consequence. It's not like Sour became a millionaire because of a few code snippets he didn't come up with all by himself, and it's not like the "victims" lost anything tangible either.
I agree. I have no idea why this is such a big deal. I hope this drama ends soon.
windwakr2

Post by windwakr2 »

And links to the corresponding code in SameBoy?
FitzRoy

Post by FitzRoy »

p5839 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:42 pmDon't put the blame on LIJI for being the person to call out this behavior. Sour can still make this right with a simple apology and a tiny license update, if he so chooses.
You make it sound like LIJI took the most cordial path of pointing out the problem, yet I'm guessing that's not the case. I've seen him acting pitiable, worrying about "falling through the cracks", but even a perfectly accurate GB emulator in 2020 is going to net you a tiny userbase, especially when you don't have a file menu.

He got byuu to replace his own very good GB core in bsnes with Sameboy's. And now we know he's scouring other emudev's codebases for evidence of non-REing. The fact that anyone can rewrite a core without RE-ing, then pretend they RE-d so long as they clean up remnants, makes emudev a unique situation. Many guys have probably done it to save time REing and then cleaned up the evidence. As such, plagiarism in retro emudev isn't the appalling thing that it is in music or writing. This isn't quite on the level of what Led Zeppelin did to Jake Holmes. Because of this and the lack of money involved, LIJI just comes off as paranoid and a little too self-important about his own work.
thewhitedragon69

Post by thewhitedragon69 »

Where can I get ROMs for the Mesen-S? I love Mesen and have a bunch of games, but can't find game ROMs for SNES anywhere (just bogus malware sites). Anyone know where good, safe ROMs are?
Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 »

thewhitedragon69 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:25 pm Where can I get ROMs for the Mesen-S? I love Mesen and have a bunch of games, but can't find game ROMs for SNES anywhere (just bogus malware sites). Anyone know where good, safe ROMs are?
Sorry, it's illegal to tell someone where ROMs are on the internet, There are search engines for this, I perfer DuckDuckGo!!!

Even then, You need to have common sense, Do NOT download unless you own the games itself, If you own the game cartridges, the Images can be extracted from your own ROM (Advanced soldering and equipment knowledge required!!!) or can be downloaded (If a good place can be found)!!!
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.
tepples

Post by tepples »

thewhitedragon69 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:25 pm Where can I get ROMs for the Mesen-S? I love Mesen and have a bunch of games, but can't find game ROMs for SNES anywhere (just bogus malware sites). Anyone know where good, safe ROMs are?
Mesen plays NES games, and Mesen-S plays Super NES games. One reason why there aren't quite as many Super NES homebrew games as NES homebrew games is that the Super NES carries an expectation of greater production values. NES is at that sweet spot where one or two people can pull off a game comparable to its first year of games (NROM-128 era) in their spare time. On Super NES, well, people expect a finished game to look and sound no worse than Super Mario World.

That said, Nova is working on Nova the Squirrel 2 for Super NES, and Martin Korth has ported Magic Floor.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Images can be extracted from your own ROM (Advanced soldering and equipment knowledge required!!!)
Commercial game copiers / dumpers have existed since the 90s. You don't need advanced skills.
Where can I get ROMs
This question has been asked and answered on other forums.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
domgetter

Post by domgetter »

windwakr2 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:11 pm
And links to the corresponding code in SameBoy?
Without the example offending code, all claims of copying are entirely conclusory. I agree that the accusation needs to be met with direct evidence. What are the source lines in SameBoy that were copied and altered?
LucianoTheWindowsFan

Post by LucianoTheWindowsFan »

Hi, so when I played Sugoi Hebereke with this emulator, after one of the gameplay demos, the screen becomes glitchy.
Here are the two screenshots for comparison.
Attachments
Sugoi Hebereke (Japan)_002.png
Sugoi Hebereke (Japan)_002.png (4.61 KiB) Viewed 8054 times
Sugoi Hebereke (Japan)_000.png
Sugoi Hebereke (Japan)_000.png (10.18 KiB) Viewed 8054 times
The SNES is my favorite console, not only because it is an upgrade to the NES, but because it had some quality games as well (e.g. EarthBound and Kirby's Dream Land 3).
LucianoTheWindowsFan

Post by LucianoTheWindowsFan »

The answer is always no, asking for ROMs can sent you to court.
The SNES is my favorite console, not only because it is an upgrade to the NES, but because it had some quality games as well (e.g. EarthBound and Kirby's Dream Land 3).
bklD

Post by bklD »

LucianoTheWindowsFan wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:02 pm Hi, so when I played Sugoi Hebereke with this emulator, after one of the gameplay demos, the screen becomes glitchy.
Here are the two screenshots for comparison.
Development builds are a lot of times unstable. Use the official release 0.4.0 and it should work.